Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,
I am back with a new question, I am going to do a 5-lug Conversion on my car and I decided on getting the Rear End out of a SN-95 Mustang and putting it in since it has better brakes, newer, and generally all around better.. For the front I am going to be getting either the K member out of a newer Fox's or either I am going to just get new struts from a 87-93.. Help me out if anything sounds wrong.

·
Registered
489 Posts
I believe you can use the front spindles from a 94-98 V-6 or V-8 but I think the rears are different sizes. Not completely sure here. I'd like to know for sure myself since someone I know has a fox and a gutted 94 V6 he was wanting to snatch the rear and spindles off it.

·
Banned
11,614 Posts
isnt an sn95 rear gona push the wheels out?

·
Registered
489 Posts
But is it a direct replacement? I think it is. I knew they were wider by about 1.5".

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
do you need to get a different proportion valve or something for the disc brakes that would be on the sn95 rear?

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
im not sure about the v6 but 94-95 gt spindles, calipers and rotors and brake lines will bolt directly onto the control arm, you need to use about 3 washers over the threads on the ball joint to make the castle nut tighten properly so you can slide in a cotter pin. on the passenger side you need to buy a little coupler for the brake lines, (i cant remember the part number but it can be bought at napa auto parts) and for the rear you can use either 94-95 axles but yes they will push the wheels out away from the center of the car maybe 1in. or you can use 2 i believe driver side axles out of a ranger, they are stock fox length but 5 lug and you can just slide on a ranger 9in brake drum.

the rear is for sure the easiest and do not use anything but a pickle fork to seperate the spindle from the ball joint (trust me its easier to just use the pickle fork and avoid added headaches.)

no you dont need to use a new proportioning valve

·
Registered
11,200 Posts
What about something better like bmw brakes
Their talking about brakes that need little to no modification to bolt up.

Unless your saying the BMW brakes will bolt right up ?

·
Registered
41 Posts
For the record, The ranger axle swap is a great way to save money but I would recomend buying new axles or at least 1 new axle to use in place of a used one because of the reverse rotation (passenger side) causing the axle to become weak. I did the swap on my 79 and I broke 3 axles before I decided to just buy new ranger axles to remedy the problem.

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
For the record, The ranger axle swap is a great way to save money but I would recomend buying new axles or at least 1 new axle to use in place of a used one because of the reverse rotation (passenger side) causing the axle to become weak. I did the swap on my 79 and I broke 3 axles before I decided to just buy new ranger axles to remedy the problem.
sounds more like you needed to rebuild your trac-lok. your power wasent getting distributed evenly to both axles which of course would cause you to snap the axle on the passenger side (believe is the drive side). and were you running slicks? slicks are a destroyer of the stock spline axles

·
Registered
627 Posts
if you search online there is a bunch of write ups. a lot of people that have done the conversion use 94-95 brake booster or 93 cobra, and 94-95 master cylinder. you also need a kit to install that master cylinder. i got away without changing any of that and my car brakes fine, but it will be better when i do change that stuff. i used spindles from a 95 and the whole rear axle.

·
Banned
3,385 Posts
sn95 spindles and rear are a direct bolt in to a fox.. but to run rear disc brakes you'll need to swap the booster and mc and parking brake cables.

·
Registered
41 Posts
91cobra50...The Re was rebuilt prior to doing the 5 lug conversion. I went to the local ford dealer and he said he knows a few other mustang guys that had a similar problem. When I finaly went with the nes axles i had no problems.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts