Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Old timer
9,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whenever I get on the brakes and right before it comes to a complete stop I can feel and hear a couple of knocks in the front it. It does it a little worse when the wheel is turned, but its always when I am on the brakes. Any ideas?

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Front lower Ball Joints.

If you wait too long they can pop out while driving and whichever tire they come out of will be free to turn as it pleases without being connected to your steering wheel anymore. Usually causes fenderwell damage as well as tire damage since the tire quickly turns all the way to the inside causing the car to abruptly stop.

If you have stockers they need to be changed, if they are aftermarket go hook up a grease fitting to it and regrease them using a grease gun.

Good idea to change outer tie rod ends as well while you're there. You will need an alignment after your done.

Make sure you count how many threads are exposed for each side so you can correctly set your toe before your slow drive to get aligned. Your steering wheel will most likely be quite off but if you drive slow you'll be ok.

good luck :)

·
Not a Rational Car Guy
38,186 Posts

·
Registered
812 Posts
they really will pop out, happend to my friend and I in his s10, we were lucky to only be going 15mph in a parking lot and not 60 down the highway, it scared the **** out of us when the pass. side hit the ground lol

1 - 5 of 5 Posts