Modded Mustang Forums banner

Front rotor replacement...

2K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  zonker 
#1 ·
Have a '93 with brake pads almost down to bare metal.. the rotors are incredibly grooved.

Picked up new rotors and pads today not realizing that they included the whole hub assembly apparently.

What all parts do I need to replace/any advice on doing that? Apparently I have to repack the wheel bearing.. haven't done that before.

Any guidance is appreciated.

#2 ·
1. buy repair manual, wheel bearing grease, wheel seals, and cotter pins.
2. remove caliper brackets and calipers
3. remove dust cap covering cotter pin and nut
4. remove nut and pull off rotor
5. remove grease seal, clean out old grease and re-pack wheel bearings.
6. install wheel bearings and put back on spindle.
7. adjust wheel bearing play per specifications (don't torque the nut down, it's supposed to be close to finger tight.
8. install pads and calipers.

#4 ·
It would not hurt to replace it. U only want to replace the seal if they are bad same with bearings. U deff want to clean them up and re pack them but if they r not bad u don't have to replace. U want to the outer seal it sort of looks like that inner but it has more of a flat spot on the lip. I will have to take a flat head screw driver with hammer and tap all around the seal to get it off. If u mess it up takin it off the replace it. If anyone objects to what I said please correct me if I'm wrong.

#5 ·
the car has only one wheel seal per side, it's the front inner wheel seal. you'll need to know if it's a V8 or 4 cyl (different hub and bearing sizes) but thats it.

#6 ·
I took care of them today. The first one took me a while, had to go grab a torx50 bit for the caliper bolts.. and forgot what order everything went in the rotor in. Pulled the other wheel, refreshed my memory, and the last one didn't take even 45 minutes to do the pad/rotor/bearings.

Physics question: What keeps the wheels from falling off due to outward force? The slightly more than hand tightened spindle nut?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.