Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I lost the dust seal on my front hub and it caused my bearing to go out. I got a new hub and seal but do I need a new hub bolt? I dont see it sawing dont reuse anywhere?
Can anyone help me out?

·
Head Unicorn
5,085 Posts
Kinda hard to read what you wrote there dude. Should be a castle nut with a cotter pin securing it. It's a re-usable item. Hope you bought a hub with bearings installed... otherwise go back and buy bearings too.

·
I Have A FLATULENT Butthole.
7,889 Posts
A lot of people will say you should put a new one on every time... but its not needed. Just re use the old castle nut and make sure you put a cotter pin in it.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
MM's V6 Hater
13,422 Posts
The nut is one time use. It's 4.00, buy it. You can reuse the dust cap if it is not bent up.

Tq to 221 ft/lbs iirc

·
Head Unicorn
5,085 Posts
How do you guys figure a castle nut is a one time use? A mechanical lock not is one time use....... a nylon lock nut is several time re-use..... a castle nut is a forever re-use. Castle nuts are secured with a cotter pin. Castle nuts are certainly not a one time use item.

EDIT: I would like to add that I believe it's a castle nut... which is why I said re-use. If it's a mechanical lock nut I agree it should be replaced.

·
MM's V6 Hater
13,422 Posts
Bulloch,

Two Ford dealers told me it is a one time use bolt along with searching the forums. There's was an answer I read about it forming or some **** after it gets to to spec.

·
7,889 Posts
Bulloch,

Two Ford dealers told me it is a one time use bolt along with searching the forums. There's was an answer I read about it forming or some **** after it gets to to spec.
I promise you that castle nuts are not one time use. There is a lot of things recommended by manufacturers that are completely unnecessary. OP don't bother buying a new one unless yours is damaged. I never replace them (unless they are damaged) at work and I've literally replaced hundreds of hub assemblies. Never had a single issue with reusing one.

·
Head Unicorn
5,085 Posts
Bulloch,

Bolt or nut? I'm not claiming to know 100% that it's not a mechanical lock nut..... but it would be highly unlikely that it would be. Bearings must be packed with grease... and have proper pre-load set on them which is typically done with a castle nut and cotter pin; not a lock nut. If it is in fact a mechanical lock nut I agree it should be replaced. If it's a castle nut, there is no reason to ever replace it unless it is cross threaded or has damaged threads for some other reason.

I think what you're describing is the deformation of a mechanical lock nut. Mechanical lock nuts are mechanicaly crimped at the top, or end of the threads. When the bolt or stud passes through it it forces it open, or deforms it, which creates excess friction to keep the lock nut backing off. I'm not sure that I've ever replaced wheel bearings or a wheel hub that had lock nuts as opposed to a castle nut, but it's certainly possible that a lock nut has been used for such.

·
7,889 Posts
I'm not positive but I dint believe our cars have castle nuts. I checked my Haynes manual and it does not say anything about replacing it.

·
Head Unicorn
5,085 Posts
IDK either.... Haynes and other manuals suck 90% of the time. Either way, if it's a castle nut its re-usable; if it's a mechanical lock nut replace it.

·
7,889 Posts
IDK either.... Haynes and other manuals suck 90% of the time. Either way, if it's a castle nut its re-usable; if it's a mechanical lock nut replace it.
Don't hate on my Haynes manual bitch! That thing saved me tons of money before I knew anything about cars!

·
Head Unicorn
5,085 Posts
You still know nothing! Throw that bitch in the garbage and you'll be leaps and bounds ahead!

I am kidding by the way... I don't care much for Haynes or Chilton's because I started with those worthless rags myself. They really are a great source of beginner information and will, in the very least, lead you in the right direction 9 times out of 10.

·
Still slow.
8,738 Posts
Its because on certain cars there is a crush washer on the back of the nut, i don't believe ours have it. If its a regular castle nut then yes it is reusable.

·
Registered
808 Posts
No castle nut. Its a Locking nut and ya replace it with a new one. got mine at NAPA. Same thing used on 4x4 pickups. Actually crossed over to that application and was hanging on the HELP parts tree.

·
Registered
808 Posts
Never had a single issue with reusing one.
Your shop forrman is taking a big risk for saving the customer a few bucks. One failure and your shop will be the crap sued out of them. Just saying.
I always repaired a customers car like I would my own. I would not skimp on something like that.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts