Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering how much my front wheels should spin when the car is jacked up in the air?? Mine will only spin about a 1/2 revolution and not sure if this is typical?? I'm thinking my brakes are dragging slightly.:banghead

·
Registered
990 Posts
well, im not sure at all, but shouldnt the wheels not spin at all if the car is RWD? dunno

·
!FACEPLATED!
15,305 Posts
it should spin more than just 1/2 a rev, there should be very little resistance.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Let me clarify.....when I jack up my car and spin the front wheels by hand they will only spin for a short distance (about 1/2 way around). Shouldn't they spin for several revolutions before stoping?? It is both of my front tires that do this. I installed new pads a couple months ago and wonder if my calipers need to be rebuilt as well???

·
Registered
356 Posts
Yes, that sounds like a brake problem and is probably a problem with the brake calipers... You shoudl be able to fully spin your tire when it is in the air without a problem

·
MM's Resident Ricer
9,892 Posts
not always, your tire may not spin more than 1/2 a revolution do to many things, like wheel bearing getting older, weight of the rim, ect. If it was a brake problem you would hear it it would make a loud scrapping noise, and if it was the caliper your pads would wear very funny very quickly. Now if you are physically turning it and getting a lot of resistance that probably is a problem, but if u just take your hand and spin it like the wheel of fortune 1/2-1 rotations is normal

the rear tires on my scion dont turn more that about 1/2 a rotation

·
Admanistrator
13,320 Posts
You just need to get in the weight room more.

Mine spin like the wheel of fortune!

Cool noises too.

·
Registered
356 Posts
not always, your tire may not spin more than 1/2 a revolution do to many things, like wheel bearing getting older, weight of the rim, ect. If it was a brake problem you would hear it it would make a loud scrapping noise, and if it was the caliper your pads would wear very funny very quickly. Now if you are physically turning it and getting a lot of resistance that probably is a problem, but if u just take your hand and spin it like the wheel of fortune 1/2-1 rotations is normal

the rear tires on my scion dont turn more that about 1/2 a rotation
To hear scraping he would probably need to keep turning past the resistance, which he didn't mention, so he would need to tell us more details to know what the problem could be

and I guess mustangs are different... I have an 04 and the spin all the way around

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
I think that your calipers are bad, I had the same problem my tires eventually got so bad i could not even spin them. I just put new calipers on and they spin freely now. If your curious how to this is an article here Replacing Worn Out Brake Calipers « Tooldesk Automotive Tool Blog. Also I would look at your pads too. On that same site there are articles on pads and rotors as well. I believe that is what it is. I mean my car the pads were fine last I checked, then the calipers went out and in a couple months my tires would not turn barely at all. I did not really hear any noise when I spun the wheels. Just take a wheel off and check.

·
Danger To Manifold
1,488 Posts
You could always take the caliper off and the put the wheel back on and see if it still does it. Just a thought.

Mine dont spin more than 1-1.5 turns.

·
Banned
636 Posts
I dont think you need to replace the caliper unless its completely siezed up. There is a tool that forces the caliper open wider to accomodate bigger/newer pads. More then likely the pads need more room. Thats my guess.

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
well when i had mine apart i did not think i needed to replace the calipers either, until i put it all back together and the wheels were still hard to spin. i even compressed the pistons didnt make a difference. you would pump the brakes a couple times then the wheels would be tight again. just take your calipers off and pump the brakes with the pistons depressed and watch them see how they react.

·
Registered
8 Posts
if there isnt noticeable resistance to when youre trying to spin it it is most likely just the weight of the wheel/tire. does it stop spinning abruptly or does it come to a slowish stop?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts