Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was checking my breaks for the first time since owning the car And I noticed my front wheel hub as a little play forward and backwards. Is this normal?

·
Registered
13,626 Posts
Nope, you shouldn't have any play. Check your steering rod bushings/bolts.

·
Registered
201 Posts
With the tire on or off? Did you jack it off the ground and press back and forth on the tire with your hands at 3 and 9 o'clock? What did you do to get the movement?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I jacked it up, took the tire off. I grabbed the lug and spun the rotor back and forth and saw the bolts of the hub move freely .25 of an inch or less and hit the holes in the rotor when it changed direction.

·
Hardon Enthusiast
2,291 Posts
:facepalm:

·
Premium Member
1,723 Posts

·
Registered
13,626 Posts
And you were checking your own brakes? Just out of curiosity what exactly were you checking for? Have you done a brake job before?

Bolt the wheel back on and you'll be fine.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Yes, with the wheel off, the hub will move around and it's normal. Check wheel bearings and rod ends with tires on. Wheel bearing check - put hands on tire at 12 and 6 o'clock and try to wiggle tire by alternating which hand you push with. If there is movement your wheel bearing is bad. Tie rod check - put hands on the wheel at 9 and 3 o'clock and try to wiggle tire. If there is movement then the tie rod is bad.

·
Hardon Enthusiast
2,291 Posts
Yes, with the wheel off, the hub will move around and it's normal. Check wheel bearings and rod ends with tires on. Wheel bearing check - put hands on tire at 12 and 6 o'clock and try to wiggle tire by alternating which hand you push with. If there is movement your wheel bearing is bad. Tie rod check - put hands on the wheel at 9 and 3 o'clock and try to wiggle tire. If there is movement then the tie rod is bad.
:facepalm:

·
Registered
641 Posts
The HUB or the ROTOR? Put the wheel back on and check for play by wiggling the wheel at 12 and 6. The rotor is separate from the hub and will float around when the wheel is removed.

·
Registered
13,626 Posts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts