Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
979 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I got a bunch of parts off an 83 hatch over the weekend, to put into my 92. Mostly interior panels and some 87 quarter glass that had been swapped in.

However, I also got the hard fuel lines that go from the engine bay back to the tank (and then attach to the tank hard line with rubber hose). I am wondering if these will work with my '92 EFI Car, since they came off of a carb car, and LMR, AM, etc. list fuel lines as different for 79-86, and 87-93.

I have all of the engine bay lines, and a fuel filter for the 92 as well, however I am not sure on fuel filter connection. I believe I have the mount for it still sitting on my frame.

Any input?

·
King Trashmouth
21,886 Posts
Will they work as is? Not likely. You could possibly modify them to work though. Keep in mind the carb and EFI have different connection points, and operate at different pressures (5psi vs 40psi.) Most of the hard line would probably be useable, but any flexible line probably isn't rated for EFI applications. Nothing you can't fix though.

The fuel filter will have those bastard quick connect fittings and locate on the rear subframe, similar to the SN/NE cars.

·
Registered
979 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Will they work as is? Not likely. You could possibly modify them to work though. Keep in mind the carb and EFI have different connection points, and operate at different pressures (5psi vs 40psi.) Most of the hard line would probably be useable, but any flexible line probably isn't rated for EFI applications. Nothing you can't fix though.

The fuel filter will have those bastard quick connect fittings and locate on the rear subframe, similar to the SN/NE cars.
You are correct on pressures. The carb lines just have a basic rubber line, suitable for gas, that just goes over the hard line, and clamps on with a basic pressure fitting. The EFI lines have actual fuel line connects,and thicker line.

The carb line setup also doesn't have provision for the fuel filter in the rear, while the EFI stuff does. I definitely have the mount for the fuel filter still on the frame, just need a filter and the lines.

I have a line on a parts car a bit north of chicago, some rust in the body and some previous frame repair, but full interior, all the brake/fuel lines, cooling system, etc. I may end up picking that up if its still for sale in about a month so i can just swap the parts over without the hassle.

Theres also a much cheaper parts car in chicago, no interior, lots more rust on the car, but fuel lines/brakes lines intact.

One of those two cars should get me what I need, but I'll likely go with the full interior car so I can set up my 92 with interior stuff for a bit.

·
King Trashmouth
21,886 Posts
For how simple and easy the brake and fuel lines are I'd just bend and flare them yourself. It isn't too hard. Hard line is cheap in 25-50' coils, and you can shave weight with aluminum fuel lines as well. Plus then you can use fittings that are a royal pain in the ass.

Chicago is a pretty fair drive too. There's a guy not too far in Franklin that's got a huge lot of Mustang stuff.

If I knew how ****ed the rust was on my fox I would have gotten a whole front clip and welded it on.

·
Registered
979 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
For how simple and easy the brake and fuel lines are I'd just bend and flare them yourself. It isn't too hard. Hard line is cheap in 25-50' coils, and you can shave weight with aluminum fuel lines as well. Plus then you can use fittings that are a royal pain in the ass.

Chicago is a pretty fair drive too. There's a guy not too far in Franklin that's got a huge lot of Mustang stuff.

If I knew how ****ed the rust was on my fox I would have gotten a whole front clip and welded it on.
I already checked with Frank and the guy taking over from him. Neither of them had fuel lines/brake lines.

Any suggestions on the coiled line? I think stock is 5/16 feed, and 1/4 return. The upgraded SVE kit uses 3/8 for both, im guessing I could just get coiled 3/8 for both and be fine if I do the bends, etc.

Any idea on what fittings I would need to mate to the fuel filter/tank?

For the vapor line, is it just basic vacuum line?

Also for brakes, are there differences in the hard line as well? I have the line from MC to right front, and from MC to diff from the 83, and I feel like I should be able to use both of those? That would just leave MC to left front as needed which would be a pretty easy line to run IMO.

·
King Trashmouth
21,886 Posts
Weird.

Yeah I'd just run 3/8 supply and return, makes life easier. The fuel tank is a 3/8 male quick connect, as are both ends of the fuel filter (though you can just as easily get fuel filters with AN fittings as well.) You can get some quick connect splice kits at parts stores. You can get the fuel rail connectors online in a variety of adapters as well.

For brakes there may be differences, but I don't think they're to the point they wouldn't work on the other chassis. A couple of the fittings, particularly the ones that go into the MC might be oddball sizes. One was something odd like a bubble flare, and was a 12mm nut. It was odd. The do weird stuff like that to keep them from mixing up lines on the assembly line. But you can usually get lines at the parts store if you have to.

Vapor or evap line will need to be a specific evap line. Otherwise it will degrade quickly. Some manufacturers and people have used vacuum and lesser suited hoses, but it breaks down and doesn't contain vapors as well. If you're putting stuff together it's worth it to do it to the highest standards.

I've got my 88 pretty well blown apart so I can check some of it.

·
Registered
979 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That would be awesome to know what fittings I need. I have the MC with prop valve, all the lines are still in it IIRC, but they're cut so I may even be able to re-use those fittings on that end. My rear axle has the brake lines on it coming from each drum to the Y, and then its cut on the stem of the Y, so again, I may be able to use those fittings, or rig something up with a fitting on the stem and just join it to a line from the MC.

---------- Post added at 02:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:02 PM ----------

Guessing this will work fine for brake line? https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Speedway-3-16-Inch-Steel-Brake-Line-25-Ft-Roll,1990.html

And this for fuel line? https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Aluminum-Fuel-Line-3-8-Inch-OD,1633.html?sku=91011430-30

You think 25 ft. is enough for the brake lines? 30 ft. for the fuel line? I can see how it would be way cheaper doing it this way. Still gonna need fittings, which could get expensive, but wont get close to the $500 for new lines from LMR.

---------- Post added at 02:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:21 PM ----------

Also, thinking about it, I could likely use a hose to quick connect fitting to make the carb feed line work with the fuel filter. I have the quick disconnects in my '92 tank to go to the filter/return line. Could possibly do the same, or a splice on the return line from the carb car as well. I would bet hat would take care of the fuel lines, brake lines will likely get Frankensteined.

---------- Post added at 02:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:29 PM ----------

Looks like the fuel vapor line is a steel line as well

https://www.cjponyparts.com/vapor-line-from-fuel-tank-5-0-original-steel-1986-1993/p/MUV1021O/

https://www.cjponyparts.com/vapor-line-from-fuel-tank-5-0-stainless-steel-1986-1993/p/MUV1021S/

I wonder if I could find out the size on that and make my own.

·
King Trashmouth
21,886 Posts
Yeah I'd just check the prices against the local parts stores. Half the time when you add in shipping it's cheaper to get it off the shelf. That and if you run short on lines you can always run to the store to grab more.

Keep in mind with the aluminum it would be wise to use aluminum fittings as well, which can increase the price. 3/8 steel line and fittings are cheaper, even if a little heavier. I went with aluminum for mine for both weight and the fact I couldn't get 5/8" steel tubing I could easily bend.

·
Registered
3,351 Posts
If you are converting the 92 to carb, use the lines off the 83. If the 92 will stay EFI, keep the lines for the 92 as is. You can buy kits for both carb and EFI, but they are/can be expensive. Making your own carb lines shouldnt be too difficult, but making your own factory style EFI lines will require a special tool for the push connects. The cheap ones are $200.

BTW, 1984 was the first year for EFI Mustangs, but was only available with the AOD, which was also introduced the same year. Manual was carbed.

·
Registered
979 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If you are converting the 92 to carb, use the lines off the 83. If the 92 will stay EFI, keep the lines for the 92 as is. You can buy kits for both carb and EFI, but they are/can be expensive. Making your own carb lines shouldnt be too difficult, but making your own factory style EFI lines will require a special tool for the push connects. The cheap ones are $200.

BTW, 1984 was the first year for EFI Mustangs, but was only available with the AOD, which was also introduced the same year. Manual was carbed.
I'm staying EFI with the 92. When I bought it I didn't have any brake lines or fuel lines on it at all, thats why I was hoping the carbed lines from the 83 would work. But as I've found out here, and corral, they wont.

I'll either try and fab my own lines and convert the push connect/fuel filter portion to AN, or get the lines of a parts car if one falls into my lap. I still need ~ half a cars worth of interior, as well as windows and mirrors for the front doors, could likely get a parts car to get what I need and sell the harnesses, etc. to cover the cost of the car.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts