Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I just bought a very clean, unmodded 2000 GT, 5 speed with 86K on it. The tank was about a half when I bought it and I went to the gas station to fill it up. As the pump turned off, fuel spilled alll over the ground underneath the car. Worried, i cleaned the fuel off the exhaust and fuel tank and drove the car home. After i got home, there seemed like no problem so i drove the car to friends to show the car off and used a half tank after 100 miles, worse than my 85 K5 blazer. Got home, looked under the car at the fuel filler neck gas tank entranced, and reached up there and could feel the rubber gasket was torn away from the tank almost all the way around. The guy i bought it from just had replaced the intank fuel pump? Is this were the leak is coming from? Only seems to leak after I drive from awhile, does not drip after i wipe off the spilled fuel and leave the car parked overnight. Is it a common problem and a easy fix? Will I run into this problem again?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
yes its very easy be sure to hold onto the gasket in the side of the tank if ya dont its a BITCHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH to get out i know from first hand experience. but if you can turn a wrench then you can def do it and save the money

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Thanks, I kinda firgured that was the problem based on some google searches but it never hurts to ask. My friend who I got the car from, owns a chevy delearship and looks like he plans to help me fix the problem, i would love to use the racks and not lay on the ground.

·
It's in the details Mod!
11,051 Posts
I had the same problem with my car just after I bought it. Luckily for me Ford replaced it free of charge since I bought it from them. Seems to be a common problem.

·
Registered
4,987 Posts
$35 Seal Drop the tank its easy make sure yo put some Vaseline o n the seal prior to install so it slides right in and don't rip the new seal you can even put some on the filler tube it won't hurt anything.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Just make sure you order the right gasket/seal. The Ford dealer ordered me the one where the filler hose goes though the trunk. Obviously, I needed the one where the filler hose goes into the tank.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts