Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Jackpot, fishypoopypants!
1,986 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just noticed I had this little goody stealthily hidden on my firewall. The previous owner must have put this thing in.

After doing some research (ie, Googling) to figure out just what in the hell it actually is, I found out it's just a resistor that wires into your MAF to make it run richer. It fools the MAF into thinking the air is denser than it really is so the computer--supposedly--puts out more fuel and "gains up to 20 horsepower!!"

:facepalm

I checked out the eBay sellers page. Page after page after page of feedback saying either, "did nothing" or "made things worse," and of course all of them were replied by the seller, claiming either the buyer was a competitor out to ruin him, or it was a bad install. I'm talking HUNDREDS of neg or neutral feedback comments. (and most of the good comments are, "fast shipping, thanks; haven't had it in long enough to see improvement.)

All it is is a resistor, plain and simple; one you can get at Radio shack for 5 cents.

And it is NOT a good idea to buy one.

Just thought I would share.

·
1,986 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Here it is from the outside:

And here is your $25 dollar "performance module" after a precision Hammer Extraction Maneuver. Two wires, a resistor; and all the space left over filled with resin (which is why I needed a hammer.)

EDIT: Also, I should mention that the wires weren't even soldered onto the resistor--they were just twisted around.

·
Mechanical Engineer
410 Posts
lol, sounds like something I would do.

Did you notice the loss in horsepower afterward? hahaha

·
Too Soon, Junior!
3,830 Posts
Would you be able to tell me which wires on the MAF it was spliced into? I'm actually going to start experimenting with resistors on the IAT to retard the timing for nitrous at the flip of a switch. Thanks!

·
1,986 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Would you be able to tell me which wires on the MAF it was spliced into? I'm actually going to start experimenting with resistors on the IAT to retard the timing for nitrous at the flip of a switch. Thanks!
I've seen some articles about people dropping in pontentiometers or rheostats to control the resistance. I'm sure a little digging would turn up a voltage chart for the MAF.

The resistor in the 'module' was a 22k.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts