Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm building a 331 stroker motor for my '91 hatch an was wondering what octane I should tune for. It'll be all motor.

I'm running.

Xxx o ringed block (331)
Tw 190cc heads (upgraded springs etc)
Edelbrock performer rpm intake
36 lb injectors & a 75mm pro m maf
255lph fuel pump.
Stock gears & suspension.

Right now it'll stay a street car but next year or two I'll be adding a turbo

Would it be okay to just tune for regular now & then move up to premium when I add the turbo/nitrous?

·
Registered
6,990 Posts
Most likely you will have lower compression with that head as it's the 64cc version, even with a flat top piston. You'd be able to do 87-up octane with no issues most likely, but it depends on the cam too.

·
Registered
6,990 Posts
No problem with lower octane. Mid grade with bumped timing will still be just fine from what my buddy had going with my motor before I bought it from him. It was stock heads and f cam with flat tops. 10:1 with increased timing.

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
u need to figure out, spray or turbo, spray i would do 10.5/1 turbo 9.5/1 or 9/1

·
Registered
5,066 Posts
Depends on your tuner too. My tuner made me sign a waiver stating I had only 93 in my tank.

So just call and ask if they can do it on regular. I'm sure you can do it no problem, but like I said, it depends on the tuner.

Just a question... Why bother with regular? I always used premium in my car since day one. Not too much more money.

Sent from my galaxy s II

·
Resident Know-it-all
2,964 Posts
15 gallons. Regular will be fine, easily tuned for it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts