Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey , quick question.
When I'm driving, the car will randomly start to sputter and die down until I pump the throttle a couple times then it comes back to life and it wont happen again for another 5 minutes give or take.
What happened is my car had been sitting for about a year and a half while I was serving my license suspensions. I was starting it minimum 2 times a week and doing donuts in my driveway and whatnot. One day it wouldn't start;the fuel pump wasn't priming. I kicked the bottom of my gas tank and the pump started priming again.
Now that I've been driving on the street again this has just started happening. I know it could be the FPDM or the Fuel pump just letting go and I know your supposed to check the FPDM with a voltmeter anything more than 10.5 replace it, so i unplugged the harness and check with the voltmeter like i was instructed to, then I'm thinking ..wait what the helll is this gonna do, its not running through the FPDM to check what voltage its putting out, so it would be whatever is feeding the FPDM,which is the ccrm? well it put out 12.3 at the harness. now what?

Attachments

·
Head Unicorn
5,085 Posts
Without testing anything or touching the car..... bad fuel pump.

Don't do donuts in your driveway.

·
Thrbfirs..... Meat Eggs
4,399 Posts
I'd check the fuel pump as well.

when I first got my 02gt it would have a similar issue sometimes. wound up replacing the FPDM, fuel pump, and then finally the crank angle sensor and camshaft position sensor. The last 2 repairs did the trick.

·
GT 4.6 SOHC
270 Posts
^ +1. Ensure that you change all gaskets that appear to be worn out or you will suffer by doing twice the work like I just did! At least your pump was giving you signs of going out whereas others have had pumps that simply stopped...

·
MMR 950 5.0 Stroker
1,322 Posts
I was having similar issues but it ended up being an alternator issue, but in your case it seems like a pump issue, especially if the kick in the tank temp resolved it

·
GT 4.6 SOHC
270 Posts
" can only imagine you trying to go for a ride with someone and the car doesn't start, you step out of the car and walk to the back and give it a few good field goals while mumbling":spank

1 - 6 of 6 Posts