Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After this current round of mods I got going on, I will be looking into upgrading my fuel system. I am going to go with 60 pound injectors so that will give me a little room to grow. My question is what are my options with the fuel pump? I know the GT500 fuel pumps and I can go with a Fore Hat and pumps. But I have also seen people put wallbros on their stock fuel hat. How would I do this? What would be the best way to go as far as price? I dont want to cheap out but if the cheaper way is just as good as the more expensive why not go the cheaper way?

I tried the search feature and it turned up nothing.

·
Registered
185 Posts
It all depends on what your future for the car is an how much hp you plan on putting down. I run 39#lb injectors with a gt500 pump but there is a cheaper option called a boost a pump. I'm running a 4.6 w/fi on 7.2lbs boost. If your running 60lb. injectors I asume you must be running a lot of mods and boost. Like everyone says just make sure you save enough for a new tune!

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well later down the road i would like to get to 600 or 700 rwhp. right now i have a lot of mods and also running nitrous. later down the road may switch to a blower. the stock pump is running at 90% duty cycle and when on the dyno with the nitrous she spiked lean when the nitrous hit which is normal but took too long to recover.

·
Premium Member
22,435 Posts
If you plan on running 600-700 rwhp than your options are GT500 with BAPs or the Fore set-up. Either would be sufficient. The GT500 pump might be a good way to go because you can add the BAPs when they are needed instead of having too much pump now. Don't bother with the Walbro pumps because you'll still only be running a single FPDM. The GT500s also include another FPDM to help drive the pumps which is highly needed. Don't forget you can also increase the wire size for the fuel pumps and gain another 10% in headroom. Here is a good read about that matter..

http://www.vmptuning.com/forum/showthread.php?t=630

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks Nasty, I seen the wire upgrade and was wondering if it was worth the money or not.

·
Premium Member
22,435 Posts
Yeah for the little bit of money in wiring and your time it'd be well worth it on ANY set-up.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i think lethal performance had the whole wiring kit for like $50

·
Not Banned
6,620 Posts
If you plan on running 600-700 rwhp than your options are GT500 with BAPs or the Fore set-up. Either would be sufficient. The GT500 pump might be a good way to go because you can add the BAPs when they are needed instead of having too much pump now. Don't bother with the Walbro pumps because you'll still only be running a single FPDM. The GT500s also include another FPDM to help drive the pumps which is highly needed. Don't forget you can also increase the wire size for the fuel pumps and gain another 10% in headroom. Here is a good read about that matter..

http://www.vmptuning.com/forum/showthread.php?t=630
What's so hard about installing a second FDPM? Walbros are extremely inexpensive, very reliable, and push about 100lph more than the stock pump

·
Premium Member
22,435 Posts
What's so hard about installing a second FDPM? Walbros are extremely inexpensive, very reliable, and push about 100lph more than the stock pump
I wasn't saying it's going to be an issue for installation. It's an additional cost as well as having to wire it up. I just looked on Fast Parts Network and couldn't even find it on there. Are you running Walbros in your car?

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
well later down the road i would like to get to 600 or 700 rwhp
So you intend on completely rebuilding your car? ....because 600 let alone 700rwhp is a laughable HP for a mostly street car. If you are really planning on planting that 700 rwhp on a prepped surface with repeated hard biting launches, having enough fuel is not enough.

My car has gone through several fuel systems including GT500 duals + 2 single BAPS, the triple pump Fore system, and now a return style system (Magna) with a large single pump and 5 gallon fuel cell. I don't know at what rwhp my car was with the last build at 22lbs boost. Expect it will increase a tad with new build. HP numbers are not something talked about.

It's lame to focus a build on really high rwhp numbers. Have you ever noticed how many with high hp numbers in their sig, don't post ETs. It is so much more expensive and harder building a car for ET goals than hp goals. There are 450 rwhp S197s out there that are way faster than some with 600+.

·
Premium Member
22,435 Posts
It's lame to focus a build on really high rwhp numbers. Have you ever noticed how many with high hp numbers in their sig, don't post ETs. It is so much more expensive and harder building a car for ET goals than hp goals. There are 450 rwhp S197s out there that are way faster than some with 600+.
In the same sense, have you have realized that not everyone cares about drag racing or getting at ET number? It's the same thing.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
who said 600 o 700 rwhp can be streetable? got a friend who had a 600 rwhp car and his is streetable.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
In the same sense, have you have realized that not everyone cares about drag racing or getting at ET number? It's the same thing.
No it is not. Of course not everybody is into ETs (and you cannot blame them) and of the small minority that are, even fewer are interested in 10s or 9s. It gets very expensive and not everybody is into gutting a very nice mustang. My goal is ETs and high hp is necessary to get there, but not the goal. The faster you go on the strip, the less comfort and utility remains in the vehicle. Also faster does not mean better. I would not consider my car better than a 100% stock S197.....just different.

So why would you then need 600-700 rwhp?

who said 600 o 700 rwhp can be streetable? got a friend who had a 600 rwhp car and his is streetable.
Someone who has 600-700 rwhp and builds the car up to actually use all those ponies, is also going to need rollbars and more likely a cage....and all the other krap that goes into the build to sustain the extra stresses associated with that power. Who wants to drive around the car with a cage and a spooled rear end. It could be streetable but not really a street car.

Again there are plenty more folk out there with massive hp and no way to use it. Put their car on strip and watch it get beaten up by an S197 with 450 rwhp that is better balanced between power and traction.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts