Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey there, so my fuel pump went out on me yesterday while i was on the freeways, one minute im cruisn at 70 the next second it totally quits. Anyways the gas tank is completely full, how do I get the gas out? and also how do i change the pump in the tank? i need step by step instructions, your help is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
well maybe others might like to see them too psh. naw i have a hayne's manual so hopefully that explains things

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey ppls

Ok so i dropped the tank today and am waiting for the new fuel pump i orders, it was pretty straight forward, on a 1998 gt you unbolt the 3 screws inside the fuel door that hold the fuel filler neck. then you have to unbolt this small bolt on the fuel filler neck from under the car that is a bracket connected to the tank, there is this wierd grommet/glove that covers the 3 pipes that connect to the filler neck you have to cut that for the tank to drop, just be careful not to cut the hoses and only the glove around it, its like a dust sleeve. then get a jack and block of wood and jack it up to hold the tank and unbolt the 3 lash straps that hold the tank, then slowly bring it down. the fuel filler neck is at a wierd angle and i dropped it down enough with 12 gallons of gas in it. to get the pump out, some gas did spill but i had no way to siphon the gas because of a check valve or baffle in the neck. anways after that there are some bolts that hold the fuel pump in and i used a flat head screw driver to turn the lock ring around in the fuel pump. counter clockwise to loosen it, careful for sparks!! hopes this helps anyone else in the future.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yea that was the first thing i did, i thought that would be really obvious.

·
Registered
11,354 Posts
Ok, that kind of scared me at first to.
Btw the autozone tools dont fit properly so you may need to grind them down first.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts