Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ive had this reacuring problem before. it only wants to do it when it wants to. you can crank the car up and drive it, runs like a clock. then at random times it will not want to start. as in you can drive to a store shut it off then go in the store for like a minute or two then come back out and crank it. it acts like it doesnt get gas. checked out all possible symptoms. cant figure it out. but theres a few things i notice. it only does it when its under a quarter of a tank and closer to E. if you wait 30 to 35 minutes it will crankl fine and run like a clock again like nothing happened. thats whats making me believe its the fuel pump. well recently as in today i took her down the road and it just died on me at a stop sign. then it didnt want to crank. went got the wife and some gas. put some gas in her and she still did the same thing. waited a couple minutes and she fired right up, drove her home idled fine and everything. im stumped. but i am swaying more to the fuel pump though.:facepalm:

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
exactly my thoughts, bought it does it randomly though. it doesnt do it everytime when its below a quarter though.

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
when i had that issue my pump was not in the tank sump

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
You see alot of this at the Ford house. People run the cars low all the times and the pumps will get hot (the fuel keeps them cool). So running under a 1/4 will cause your pump to get hot and F up. Replace the pump and start keeping over a 1/4. My wifes car does this now and I used to yell out her for it and she didnt believe me..... A year later the pump is going out... FML

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yeah that was my plan anyway. replacing it. i never let my cars get below a 1/4, but the top needs replacing and i havent drove her in awhile and on a 7.25 hour job i can barely afford the gas to put in it right now. but this has been going on for like a year and a half. so ive been planning on pulling the tank and redoing and replacing what ever needs it. i was just making sure that was what it was before pulling stuff apart.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts