Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so I've been having this problem with my car not turning over when heat soaked. anyways guys at eb3 said its my fuel pump not being able to hold the fuel pressure which after some research i found that others had the same problem. now getting to my question.

i plan to go turbo or supercharged in about 5 and a half months (with my current saving style that's when it will happen lol). can i run a svt focus fuel pump on a bolted on gt? so that gets rid of this embarrassing problem for the time being? since going forced induction calls for a better fuel pump can i just get it over with now?

·
US Air Force (retired)
13,542 Posts
Yes.

But you said the car wouldn't turn over. That doesn't sound connected to the fuel pump to me. Not starting could be the fuel pump. But not cranking over is electrical, most likely the starter, maybe a battery.

Doesn't it just click and not crank? Does it crank over slowly with a groaning noise? Will it crank over with a set of jumper cables?

·
Head Unicorn
5,085 Posts
+1 ^^^^^^ need more info and a better description of not cranking.

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
okay well the car will start PERFECTLY FINE on a cold start. then after driving a little bit or a lot (take note this happens randomly) ill turn the key to start and it just sounds like its cranking but nothing happens, then i stop wait 2 seconds and try again and it will start up like nothing ever happened.

i was told that i could reduce this happening by turning the key but not cranking it and letting it sit for a couple second i.e while i put my seatbelt on ect ect.

i was told it was the fuel pump not holding the right fuel pressure when the car is off, thats why that first crank initially fails.

-i just bought a new battery
- the starter is def working

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes.

But you said the car wouldn't turn over. That doesn't sound connected to the fuel pump to me. Not starting could be the fuel pump. But not cranking over is electrical, most likely the starter, maybe a battery.

Doesn't it just click and not crank? Does it crank over slowly with a groaning noise? Will it crank over with a set of jumper cables?
it cranks normally just doesnt start. then if i go to retry too fast its as if my battery is dead, you know that really fast loud clicking noise, but thats if i try recrank it too fast.

·
Anandavenkatakrishnan
21,386 Posts
I have the same problem as the op. I made a thread on another forum a while back and cliffyk answered my question. Now, I can't find my thread :mad:

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i was told it had something to do with my fuel pump, guys at eb3 said it might work fine when the car is ON but as for holding pressure during the OFF time its bad or faulty.

i had no clue the fuel pump would relate to that problem though.

i was just thinking it was my coils, spark plug, or something along those lines.

i just want to fix it. its so embarrassing having a nice as car that cant start LMAO

·
Head Unicorn
5,085 Posts
okay well the car will start PERFECTLY FINE on a cold start. then after driving a little bit or a lot (take note this happens randomly) ill turn the key to start and it just sounds like its cranking but nothing happens, then i stop wait 2 seconds and try again and it will start up like nothing ever happened.

i was told that i could reduce this happening by turning the key but not cranking it and letting it sit for a couple second i.e while i put my seatbelt on ect ect.

i was told it was the fuel pump not holding the right fuel pressure when the car is off, thats why that first crank initially fails.

-i just bought a new battery
- the starter is def working
Here what you're describing is the PPRV, or a loss of residual pressure which would be either in the pumps built in valve or the PPRV in the tank. You're describing a different issue in your next post and I'll respond to that one in a quote to keep them separate.

·
Head Unicorn
5,085 Posts
it cranks normally just doesnt start. then if i go to retry too fast its as if my battery is dead, you know that really fast loud clicking noise, but thats if i try recrank it too fast.
The loud clicking noise you're describing is a bad starter. This is a completely separate condition from the spinning over.

Spinning over with no start/crank is a no fuel or no spark condition. Sounds like you have a no fuel condition on that.

Clicking with no action when you turn the key is a bad starter......... replace or rebuild the starter. It's much cheaper to rebuild if there is a starter and alternator shop in your area (there are two shops in my small town that rebuild starters and alternators... chances are there is one in your area if you look). Keep in mind the difference in a new starter and a rebuilt starter is that one is completely clean and the other isn't (and rebuilt is a quarter of the price).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts