Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright guys i am lost but i think i know what it is...

I drove my car to school this morning and ran fine... about an hour later i went to go grab some lunch and it started right up.. ran for a minute but idled rough almost like a vacuum leak and then i shut it off... I started it back up and it died out...

I originally though it was a vacuum leak but now it wont start and i have a feeling it was just running rough bc it was starving for fuel.

I checked the fuse and the shut off and both were fine... i pushed down on the schreater (sp?) valve and no fuel came out but it burped off some pressure... and also i am not sure but i cant hear anything that sounds like the fuel pump...

Does this sound like a fuel pump to you guys and if so is it in the tank on a mustang???

Thanks a lot guys ;)

·
Registered
374 Posts
its possible if it were a vacuum leak it should have still started back up you can always try and by a fuel filter and a 255 focus fuel pump and see if it fixes it up. The pump is not in the tank. when you turn the key on but dont start you should hear the fuel pump kick on if you give it a second it will build up some fuel pressure if you dont here this theres probably an issue there.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah no pressure just air... which i though was kinda weird... i dont think its a vacuum leak like i originally thought bc it now it wont start at all. Its just getting no fuel. How do i determine if it is a pump or a filter. Is there a trick to find out other than listening to it kick on.

also what advantages would it give me to get a 255 focus fuel pump?

·
Registered
374 Posts
yeah no pressure just air... which i though was kinda weird... i dont think its a vacuum leak like i originally thought bc it now it wont start at all. Its just getting no fuel. How do i determine if it is a pump or a filter. Is there a trick to find out other than listening to it kick on.

also what advantages would it give me to get a 255 focus fuel pump?
the 255 is just better then the stocker it can handle more power and what not but when you replace something you should always replace it with something a little better, there not very costly. You can pull the fuel filter and see if it looks clogged but most likely it would be the pump and not the filter, but if your going to replace the pump you should go ahead and get rid of the filter too. To change the filter pick up a fuel line disconnect tool. All together its not a very rough job on our cars really if you want to do it yourself.

·
Registered
374 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,464 Posts
you should be able to hear the fuel pump prime on key on, engine off, for about 2 seconds. If you are in a loud place have someone put there ear by the gas tank. Make sure you are not out of gas either! I was helping someone troubleshoot a no start issue and the car was out of gas!! doh!

·
Registered
374 Posts
you should be able to hear the fuel pump prime on key on, engine off, for about 2 seconds. If you are in a loud place have someone put there ear by the gas tank. Make sure you are not out of gas either! I was helping someone troubleshoot a no start issue and the car was out of gas!! doh!
LMFAO!!!!!!

·
Registered
133 Posts
Yes, your fuel pump IS in the tank. Have you checked the fuel filter? (Right in front of the tank). Replace it and see if you get fuel up to the rails. If you can't hear the pump prime when you turn the key on, it sounds like you've found your problem. Check the relays, but it sounds like your pump has headed south. They're not terribly difficult to change. I recommend that you replace with with the SVT Focus pump (3S4Z-9H307-BC). I replaced mine a little over a year ago. Check out my thread: http://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums/99-04/82800-fuel-delivery-issue.html

·
~C~, The Other White Meat!
1,623 Posts
It sounds like you said you are getting pressure but it is air?

Like was said,....prime the pump, see if you have pressure in the form of fuel, if not, change the filter. Try it again. If still the same thing, replace the pump.

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
First, never mind everybody already said it is in the tank. Second, if you are getting air then your filter is not the problem. In order to get air in the line it has to be sucking air in the tank. The fuel pump only comes on long enough for the computer to go through its checks. Hook a pressure gage up and check the fuel pressure at the rails or take a rag and a screwdriver and push the shraeder valve while holding the rag over it to see if fuel comes out. If the fuel pump comes on and you get no fuel, change the filter and go from there.

·
April 2012 ROTM
4,739 Posts
+1...good advice all around

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Just wondering what year focus does this come out of?

Also I have heard that in an 01 and down you have to splice the connector in? Is this true or is it just "plug and play"?

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
I know these guys keep saying fuel filter since your getting air pressure but mine did the same thing right before it went out...

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Just wondering what year focus does this come out of?

Also I have heard that in an 01 and down you have to splice the connector in? Is this true or is it just "plug and play"?

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
What year svt focus does this come off of and what motor did it have that year? The ford dealer and parts stores all say they can't find it without the year eventhough I have the part #...

And I heard on the 01 and down you have to splice some wires is this true?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts