Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im lookin to do some fuel system upgrades. i was gonna do a 255Lph pump and a adjustable fuel pressure regulator.

my fuel system is going out so i figured i might just replace them with some good stuff.

my questions are this: how hard is the install of the fuel pump? and would i need to get this thing tuned after there are installed?

·
Resident Headbanger
2,419 Posts
my fuel system is going out so i figured i might just replace them with some good stuff.
What makes you think that your fuel system's on the way out?
A 255lph fuel pump and a new fuel filter are worth adding anyway since you're planning to extract more HP from your engine. Neither an adjustable FPR nor a tune are necessary at this stage.
What mods do you have and what are your goals?

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok, well it just stutters, and acts like its running out of fuel sometimes, ive replaced the whole ignition system, and there isnt a rough idle. it only happens occasionally, and then it starts running fine again, it has alot of new vaccum tubes.

so im thinking its the fuel system, just cause it feels like its running out of gas.

so at this point a FPR wont help at all? and as for mods, this engine is eventually gonna come out of the car, and get replaced by a newer 302. so not alot of plans for this engine.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Try cleaning the MAF and replacing the fuel filter first and see if it still acts the same.

How many miles are on the current motor? Why are you planning to replace it?

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
right now i dont know how many miles, its an exempt title, and its done an indicated 51xxx. but the odometer has been changed at some point, my guess is 160xxx.

and im gonna swap it cause im obsessed with building engines lol. but i need it to drive so i cant pull the one it has =). the engine thats in there is gonna end up being rebuilt anyways, and then its gonna go into a 92 explorer.

i put on a BBK CAI, and i did notice that the last owner removed the screen from the MAF, and it was missing a bolt. so ill try cleaning that. what would be the best way to clean it?

·
Registered
594 Posts
I used some brake cleaner. (make sure its non-chlorinated? not sure if thats the right phrase..)
Just take it out, spray it down, let dry and reinstall.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
another question, im just now looking at my MAF, and it seems that my BBK CAI scratched the inside of it a little bit, but its after the actual sensor so i dont know if that makes a differance, its just little scratches nothing severe

·
Registered
39 Posts
If the sensor itself isn't damaged it should be fine.
but with an adjustable FPR to get the most out of it, get some time on a dyno.
I watched my teacher today tune in a extra 6 whp (i think it was) to a Honda all with timing and chasing down a good A/f ratio. but the best part is that it cleaned up the entire power band. makes a good 15-20 hp more at the lower end then when we first started.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts