Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking about putting a fuel sump on my factory fuel tank. What do you think is a good fuel sump? I was looking at the Aeromotive and the competition engineering ones. What do you guys think? One more thing, do you weld them on or solder them on?

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
spend 100 bucks and get a brand new tank from latemodel restoration, i bought my sump from summit racing and paid a local welder 40 bucks to weld it in for me ( why spend the money for a sump and have it welded onto a 20 year old tank ??) all told i have @ 200 bucks into a brand new sumped tank

·
Registered
91 Posts
spend 100 bucks and get a brand new tank from latemodel restoration, i bought my sump from summit racing and paid a local welder 40 bucks to weld it in for me ( why spend the money for a sump and have it welded onto a 20 year old tank ??) all told i have @ 200 bucks into a brand new sumped tank
When aeromotive charges 500 bucks for a brand new en.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This is true. I think I will just buy a new one and have it sumped.

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
i was going to have my stock tank sumped but for 105 bucks why not get a new one ??
Image is a representation of this part.
Actual part may vary. Part Number:LRS-9002B Vehicle Type:MUSTANG Product Line:Fuel Charging and ControlsEst. Ship Date:Tomorrow | What is this?Your Price:$104.95Quantity:

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i was going to have my stock tank sumped but for 105 bucks why not get a new one ??
Image is a representation of this part.
Actual part may vary. Part Number:LRS-9002B Vehicle Type:MUSTANG Product Line:Fuel Charging and ControlsEst. Ship Date:Tomorrow | What is this?Your Price:$104.95Quantity:
Thats from 5.0 resto right?

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
yeah latemodelrestoration and 5.0 resto are the same thing

·
Registered
3,921 Posts
to bad my car is a 79 model and the tank straps are in differant locations and would need modifying or i would do this

·
Registered
579 Posts
I have a fuel cell if interested?if not a new tank is the way to go and get any of the sumps you mentioned they are all fine.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have a fuel cell if interested?if not a new tank is the way to go and get any of the sumps you mentioned they are all fine.
I would have gone with a fuel cell but my friend said that I would have better weight transfer using the factory tank.

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
i'm not a big fan of fuel cells, you have to seal them from the drivers compartment and they take away room in the hatch/trunk, i like the stock tank sumped, they go right thru dmv inspection ( tank pressure test ) , no spilling gas in the trunk/hatch when filling up , and they pass track tech every time , and you still have room in the trunk /hatch for important stuff like a battery and nitrous bottle > : 0 )

·
Registered
2 Posts
to bad my car is a 79 model and the tank straps are in differant locations and would need modifying or i would do this
I have an 80 Capri that i'm trying to put a sump on. I'm kinda stuck right now with a couple of things..... My tank has the sending unit on the front of the bottom passenger side of the tank and not on the top as the pic you have posted... Why is this? Also, I bought a mustang sump from LRS which is supposed to conform to the stock tank. My problem is the end of the sump on the opposite side of the fittings is around a 1/2 inch from making contact with the bottom of my tank because of the recessed hump area on the tank. Has anyone else had this scenario??? I'm stuck on what to do at this point.

This item here is what my tank has for sending unit... 81-84 FUEL LEVEL SENDING UNIT, 5.0L W/ CARBURETOR, REPRODUCTION, FITS 84 MANUFACTURED BEFORE 12/83 MUSTANG

and the new tank looks to take this one... 83-86 SENDING UNIT, FUEL TANK, W/ EFI, 5.0L MUSTANG

Does anyone have any advice??? :(

·
Premium Member
11,367 Posts
I would have gone with a fuel cell but my friend said that I would have better weight transfer using the factory tank.
I guess I'm not understanding his theory there. Why does he think that, because the factory tank is a few pounds lighter? Make up for the weight savings with a good suspension. I've done both and I'd gladly take a fuel cell and its benefits over sumping a stock fuel tank.

·
Premium Member
11,367 Posts
i'm not a big fan of fuel cells, you have to seal them from the drivers compartment and they take away room in the hatch/trunk, i like the stock tank sumped, they go right thru dmv inspection ( tank pressure test ) , no spilling gas in the trunk/hatch when filling up , and they pass track tech every time , and you still have room in the trunk /hatch for important stuff like a battery and nitrous bottle > : 0 )
A rear firewall is cheap and easy. There is also plenty of room in the trunk with a fuel cell. The only thing that changes is you don't have room for your spare tire anymore :(

·
Registered
375 Posts
I guess I'm not understanding his theory there. Why does he think that, because the factory tank is a few pounds lighter? Make up for the weight savings with a good suspension. I've done both and I'd gladly take a fuel cell and its benefits over sumping a stock fuel tank.

Have any pics of your truck? I would like to run a cell but I have my NOS bottle in the spare tire well.

·
Registered
1 Posts
86_Notch: after you put the sump on did you seal the tank? idk if i have to seal the tank with something like a POR15 product. Do I have to/Should I?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts