Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It has not been easy getting a tool to set the camshaft position synchronizer on my 2001 3.8L. The Motorcraft part does not come with this tool. The part is waiting at O'reilly's and it is a busy week with plenty of time to wonder why I'm trying to "set it and forget it" on this adjustment.

Has anyone tried "tuning" the timing of the camshaft position sensor? Would the best setting be the one that gives the best torque peak or is peak horsepower a better measure?

It seems like setting the dizzy a bit advanced from stock timing is worth trying. Has this been done before?

·
V6 BIOTCH
6,945 Posts
ehh obviously people do it on other set ups.
I guess you could advance/retard your timing a bit that way. But if you want something for tq I have a 4.2 cam w/ springs/retainers. And an intake spacer. Id sell ya as a set.
4.2 cam isnt a huge cam, will be more tq, a little better sound. I know its only about 10hp but tq I cant remember.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Better off advancing the timing with a handheld.
Makes sense. I saw the tables in Advantage III for this adjustment. I'm still a bit new all those tables. So many tables! If I knew I'd be interested in tuning someday, I'd have paid more attention in math classes. :D

Thanks!

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Tested it out using some bold guesses

at zero, neg 8 and neg 16 degrees the car ran pretty well
at neg 24 it was a bit shaky.rough but nothing you'd call odd for a 120K mile car
At positive 16 degrees it felt anemic but the idle was smooth

On the wideband, there was a bit of improvement at neg 8 and neg 16 degrees . . . something like a sweet spot. It wasn't a huge difference. It was more like 0.3 AFR at 3500 rpm with adaptive learning off running the same tune.

I've set for neg 12 degrees and tweaked the MAF transfer table based on data logging at neg 8 degrees. They were pretty tiny adjustments.

I think on Myth Busters they would call this one plausible but the benefits may be popularly exaggerated

1 - 6 of 6 Posts