Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Like the title says battery drains rapidly under heavy throttle. drains till dash light comes on, brand new alt/ battery this is the third alt and second battery. battery drain is worse at night (causing head lights to fade to nothing) but even with all extras(lights,radio) turned off the drain is still rapid. I have a heavy foot (and a few speeding tickets) so NOT stomping it aint an option. :whackylol:

·
Turbo > blower
13,867 Posts
that sounds like your alternator isnt charging the battery for some reason. does it charge back up under light loads? sounds like you have an alternator that is too weak.

also do you have any aftermarket electronics in the car? stereo, sub, etc?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes as soon as I let off the gas the battery gauge returns to normal, i was just looking at alt options on americanmuscle.com think I might order a higher amp alt/ power cable.

---------- Post added at 12:10 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:07 AM ----------

oops didnt see that second part. No all stock electronics tho the shaker system had been removed when I bought the car.

·
Never go ass to mouth.
6,441 Posts
I'm with Towelie on this one. Weak charging system. It seems it can't supply enough power when everything is under heavy load. Make sure all connections and grounds are solid. Then get a voltage tester hooked up and have someone run through the rev range while you watch the power levels.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
I would say check all of your major connections see if anything is loose, and while you have the battery off check for any shorts to ground that might be causing a draw, ect.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts