Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry so long but I'm trying to give as much info as I can.When I 1st joined the forum this was my 1st thread issue,lol. But anyway...I havent really driven my car in like 2 months but I always go out to start it up and let it run for a little bit for about 20-30 minutes. Well yesterday was a meet here in town so I decided to wash'r up. The 1st time I had this issue I took my car to a car wash and used a pressue washer when I cleaned it and that was when the funny idle and acceleration came. Most of you where saying maybe I could have gotten a c.o.p wet and thats why it was doing that. The service engine light even came on and it eventually cleared it self. With that said I stoped using power washers,lol. Since then I have hand washed my car the same way nurmerous times, the same way every time and this problem hasnt came back till now. So before I washed my car it idled fine and accelerated fine. Even after I was finished washing it I let it sit for a couple of hours before even going to the meet. Driving to the meet it was fine. But letting my car sit and leaving the meet is when it started to do it. The service engine light hasnt come on but its reminding me of when it did this the 1st time. Hopefully it stops itself again. What do you guys think it could be? Thank you for the help in advance

·
Super Moderator
13,578 Posts
I think you have shorted out a COP, have you taken your MAF off and cleaned it as well?

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No I havent taken out the Maf and cleaned it. I try not to mess with those cause I know they can pretty touchy. I'm thinking it could also be the iac that need to be cleaned. What can I use to clean the maf with and what would be the process to clean it. A link to how to clean the iac would also be helpful...just in case. Would any of those malfunctions cause the s.e.s light to come on cause mine hasn't came on.

·
Super Moderator
13,578 Posts
a Faulty o2 sensor can cause the engine light to randomly come on. As far as cleaning the MAF go to the parts store and get MAF cleaner then just spray the MAF, let it dry then reinstall.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well...my s.e.s light hasent come on since march and that was the 1st and only time it has came on since ive had the car and it was because of this issue. I probably need to clean the maf anyway but hopfully this issue just runs its course like it did last time

·
Super Moderator
13,578 Posts
Go to parts store and have them run the codes so we will know what the engine light came on for. By the way that's free

·
Super Moderator
13,578 Posts
once the engine light comes on it automatically stores a code in the ECU even if it clears itslef. even if the light is currently off when you hook up a diagnostic tool it will still tell you why the light came on " the code it stored" .

·
US Air Force (retired)
13,542 Posts
I don't wash my engine but I have a similar problem. I drowned my COPs a different way. My intake manifold broke and drenched the motor in antifreeze. One COP definitely shorted out and replaced. Another is iffy. It comes and goes. I'm thinking that I need to replace all the COP to get rid of the problem.

I hate intermittent problems.

I've heard of this stuff before. My solution is to not wash my motor. If Ford had wanted it exposed to the elements they wouldn't have put a hood on the car.:)

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I didn't was the motor at all. The 1st time this happened in march I didn't wash the motor BUT I did use a power washer at the car wash the 1st time. Like I said...no s.e.s light (yet) but I hope it clears it self up again before I start dishing out money

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well its been a few days and its still doing the same thing. Its been raining outside so i havent really messed with my car. i was wondering should i also try sea foam?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts