Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm gathering as much information as possible and making spread sheets for a future turbo build. This isn't going to happen anytime soon, but I know the only good builds are well planned builds. I want to basically have the whole thing planned out before I even start. So my first question is pretty simple, a lot of people seem to recommend the SCTBA-3000 for a MAF sensor on a turbo build above 4 PSI. Is this just because it makes tuning with an SCT XCAL3 handheld easier? I know that the 90mm Lightning and Cobra MAF's are much cheaper; so are the Ford Racing 90mm Lightning/Cobra MAF's compatible with our cars and usable for a turbo build (What's its limitations), or is the BA-3000 the only one I should use?
FYI: At this point, I'm looking to start with a relatively modest build at around 9 PSI (with the Tial WG 38mm Wastegate tmaturbo uses, using the 0.6 BAR small blue spring; rated for 8.7 PSI)

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
The reason people use the bigger MAF's is because they can actually record the amount of air going in. Your maf in your car has a little wire in it, and it picks up how much air is going into by friction across the wire, which heats it up, and then is transferred to an electrical signal to tell your computer how much air is entering your car. Eventually it will "peg" with so much air going through it. So if there is more air going through the intakes then the maf can read, you have issues. Thats why people use the other maf sensors, because they have a larger range.

The lightning 90mm will match a lot of uses, pretty much good to i think 350rwhp, which your 9psi on a stock engine iwth stock intakes/cam/heads will probably be around 250-300rwhp, if you have ported heads/intakes and a cam you will probably be around 300-350rwhp with the 9psi.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for that info "Toph6888"! +Reps! It matches pretty closely what I just found on a tech page from lasotaracing. They explained that pegging isn't a matter of air flow restriction (as even small MAF's can flow a ton of air apparently), but a limitation on the voltage output signal sent back to the ECU/PCM. They say on OEM Ford MAF's, the ECU is set to read up to 4.7 Volts, While with a tune they can extend it to 5.0 Volts. They then say the 80mm Lightning MAF's are good to about 350 RWHP while the 90mm Lightning MAF's are good up to 450 RWHP. This answers my question. Since I'm only looking at a little over 300 HP at the flywheel with my initial goals without forged internals, the 90mm Lightning MAF should work great with my build (Sweet, saving money already!).

My next question is: What is the type of fuel injector connectors do we have on our cars? I can't seem to figure out if it's the EV-6 or EV-1 connector?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Honestly, im not sure which the injectors are cause i just came in the mustang world myself recently, but id just get cobra 39lb injectors and pump, thatl take care of ur fuel, the maf ur on the right track, also with a wideband as well. Ofcourse ur gonna need upgraded suspension, rear/gears/driveshaft/trans etc etc what other specific qs u have i might b able to help, im planning on a 4.3 stroker twin turbo build at the moment haha

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So this is a basic rundown of what my research has produced so far. I'm basically looking at a way to make a DYI turbo kit to save some money, using tmaturbo's street kit as a guideline. I have a nicely formatted attachment (would have been so much easier if these forums accepted excel files) but for those of you who may not be able to open it, very briefly here's what I've done. I've sourced all of the parts included in the tmaturbo kit with the exception of the miscellaneous parts (air filter, couplings, clamps etc..) and the turbo manifolds with piping. All parts with shipping included came to $1,912.69.

So:
OBX FMIC 30.5" x 11.5" x 3" $101.00
Tail 38mm Wastegate 0.6 Bar (8.7 PSI) $234.00
Precission Turbo - Garrett GT40 $981.99
Ford Racing 90mm Lightning MAF (PN: M-12579-L54) $79.95
Ford GT Supercar Fuel Pump (Single) (PN: 4G7Z-9A407-CA) $150.00
Ford Racing Cobra 39 lb. Fuel Injectors (8-Pack) (PN: M-9593-M39) $275.95
HKS Super SQV 4 Universal BOV $89.80
Total $1,912.69

Attachments

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Honestly, im not sure which the injectors are cause i just came in the mustang world myself recently, but id just get cobra 39lb injectors and pump, thatl take care of ur fuel, the maf ur on the right track, also with a wideband as well. Ofcourse ur gonna need upgraded suspension, rear/gears/driveshaft/trans etc etc what other specific qs u have i might b able to help, im planning on a 4.3 stroker twin turbo build at the moment haha
I plan on getting 39 lb. Cobra injectors which are EV-6, but I don't know if I'll need the EV-1 to EV-6 adapters or not. Not a big deal, they're only about $30 but I just wanted to figure that out.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
Good start but there is room for improvement on your list. I will tell you what you need and you can go research and get a price list.

Turbo 4431e
44mm wg from on3performance
wyntom 50mm bov(ebay special)
maf diablo maf extender or hpx slot maf
cx racing bar and plate intercooler and piping kit 31x12x3
seimans deka 60lb injectors ($240 through pas on corral.net)
gt supercar pump (highflowfuel.com, you have to enter your year/make/model in the upper left hand corner to find it)
2.5" exaust kit (mandrel bending solutions)
2 2.5 vbands from same place
single 3" ex haust kit
t3 flange in/out

You will need a few more odds and ends but this is the jist.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Good start but there is room for improvement on your list. I will tell you what you need and you can go research and get a price list.

Turbo 4431e
gt supercar pump (highflowfuel.com, you have to enter your year/make/model in the upper left hand corner to find it)
single 3" ex haust kit
t3 flange in/out

Is the MAF extender so that you can calibrate your new MAF? Is this needed with a DYNO tune?

Are the exhaust kits you mentioned so that you can fabricate piping for the intercooler or for the actually turbo manifolds?

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
Is the MAF extender so that you can calibrate your new MAF? Is this needed with a DYNO tune?

Are the exhaust kits you mentioned so that you can fabricate piping for the intercooler or for the actually turbo manifolds?
mafia extends the range of the stock maf. Stock maf with extender will get you to well over 500rwhp. It needs to be tuned to run it.

exhaust kit is for the hot side.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Turbo 4431e
single 3" ex haust kit
t3 flange in/out

The 4431e turbo is the turbo your using on your build correct? I think your overall goals are higher than mine with your build but I'll look into it. Originally anyway, I want to try and boost my 3.8 on stock internals.

Also, are you fabricating all your own piping for your build?

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Does anyone know if "tmaturbo" will just sell their turbo manifolds with all the piping for the intercooler separately from their kits?

·
Banned
12,740 Posts
So this is a basic rundown of what my research has produced so far. I'm basically looking at a way to make a DYI turbo kit to save some money, using tmaturbo's street kit as a guideline. I have a nicely formatted attachment (would have been so much easier if these forums accepted excel files) but for those of you who may not be able to open it, very briefly here's what I've done. I've sourced all of the parts included in the tmaturbo kit with the exception of the miscellaneous parts (air filter, couplings, clamps etc..) and the turbo manifolds with piping. All parts with shipping included came to $1,912.69.

So:
OBX FMIC 30.5" x 11.5" x 3" $101.00
Tail 38mm Wastegate 0.6 Bar (8.7 PSI) $234.00
Precission Turbo - Garrett GT40 $981.99
Ford Racing 90mm Lightning MAF (PN: M-12579-L54) $79.95
Ford GT Supercar Fuel Pump (Single) (PN: 4G7Z-9A407-CA) $150.00
Ford Racing Cobra 39 lb. Fuel Injectors (8-Pack) (PN: M-9593-M39) $275.95
HKS Super SQV 4 Universal BOV $89.80
Total $1,912.69
If you don't weld, what I highlighted in red is where the big money comes from. Andy used to charge like 700$+ to build just a set of manifolds.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts