Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright well some of you may (regrettably) know about my issues I have had with my car after the dyno tune and install of my hot rod cams cams, 4.10s and everything else.... anyways here's a wonderful update.

My current city/highway mpg is about 16mpg right now. Not the greatest but its not horrible either. A majority of the driving was done in the city around an average speed of 45-60mph. A few stoplights here and there but for the most part it was a lot better. The highway driving was at about 75-80mph for about 3-4 miles.

So overall its getting better than the 10mpg it was using before (somehow) and the car doesnt smell nearly as bad as before... my clothes smell a little bit like fuel right now but that may be when I checked behind the car earlier today. I dont know whats up with it but for right now its running ok.

That being said I already ordered a tuner from AM and filled in everything for my custom tune... and I mean everything. They ask you details about your induction system, cams, tire size and manufacturer.... its insane. They even have you choose what company makes your offroad h/x pipe. When I called they said the hot rods would be no problem so hopefully they can get me a great tune. I picked an 87 street tune, 93 performance and 93 race tune so I think it was a good investment.

So if anyone has any info on how or why my car has had a sudden change of heart in its fuel consuming ways (or am I batshit insane?) let me know please.

I put off putting my new grille on my car till tomorrow. Its a hidden fog light grille but im blacking out the fog lights so you cant see them at all until they are turned on.

Oh yeah heres another "exhaust" video for anyone who wants to hear it from a little father away and at WOT. Watch it till the end its pretty good.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Yup, been reading your post. Hope you will be happy with AM tunes. You have been here longer than I have so I am sure you have also heard many good things about their tunes. Keep us posted.

·
cammed, geared, and blown
1,919 Posts
nice vid

·
Registered
889 Posts
neat

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hows the Perfomance from them? Down low mainly?
They're not bad down low. If you cruise around 1st gear with the clutch let out all the way you can roll just fine... in 2nd it will buck around a little bit but nothing horrible. Taking off can be smooth or involve a little slipping of the clutch it just depends. Sometimes I can roll off like the car was stock and other times I really have to give it some throttle.

They do take a minute to warm up and really settle down but the idle is usually pretty high at that point so you can easily take off from a cold start.

As far as horsepower and torque they aren't really much different from stock down low. but they really haul ass at higher rpm. My car really picks up at 2500 rpm and just keeps pulling.

I love the 'cam spray mod' quote that was a great thread.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Cams sound great. I can't wait till I get my Detroit rockers in my car. I should be doing them soon. I will post a video when they are in.

I was going to get the hot rod cams but got a really good deal on the Detroit rockers.

·
Yut Yut Devil Dog
4,591 Posts
That would be funny as sh*t if a truck or another car ran over your camera.. LOL!!! Other than that, I love that sound. Nice ride...

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah that road is weird its a road that goes literally to nowhere... just a little roundabout area right at the end of it... routinely has tires and old TVs on the side of it. The only way in is from that area I headed towards so if anyone showed up I would of done a U-turn and grabbed my camera. Did have a cop sitting there the other day though.

Its my little gem lol I have about a dozen burnout marks on that road... one was a nice 1st into 2nd power brake where I held 2nd gear for a good minute. Had just bought the car less than a month before and already needed new tires.

·
Registered
3,776 Posts
haha thats funny i was thinking the same thing about the camera, but other than that those cams sounds sexy as hell! hopefully the AM thing works out for you!

·
The Despised Vert
3,557 Posts
I think it just took the computer a little longer to adjust to your new stuff... the computers in these cars "learn" every so often and make minor changes... if you sensors were not switching very fast it could help slow the changes down... nothing is wrong with that... I would kill for 16 MPG but I won't give up any HP...

·
Premium Member
1,416 Posts
That video is badass... LOL, I like the ant running around, like hes out there checking out the patch you just laid.. Classic!!

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yeah honestly im still getting used the car. The rev limiter is set at 6500 now but it comes up so much faster it surprised me. But in all honesty I still love hitting the rev limiter every once in a while. That burnout was on it a little too long for my tastes though.

My Harley sounds so much nastier on the rev limiter :D

·
Your Resident Badass
4,199 Posts
Sounds great man! Glad to see its a bit better. It will get even better after the AM tune

·
Bob The Mo'fukkin Builda!
10,234 Posts
one thing you may do is make sure AM keeps the basic options open for you to change. if you get new tires that are taller or shorter it sucks to have to get a new tune for that when they could just leave it open and you do it yourself.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yeah I actually wondered about that myself. I was going to see if they would let me be able to change the idle speed, rev limiter, TCS options ect myself after I installed the tune. I would hate to have to do a whole new tune and everything just for that. I already sent in the info for my tune but if it installs ok this weekend I may give them a call about it later on. I like the rev limiter at 6500 and I want TCS off when I start the car. Idle speed I may mess with a few times for fun but I dont want the car to get screwed up dropping it too low with these cams.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Sounds wicked! Man, if I thought I could get away with that exhaust set-up here in MD I'd bolt it on tomorrow.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts