Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
The soul stealing Ginger
5,864 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
okay, for some odd reason, im still getting some pretty shitty gas mileage, like 230, a tank, I'm looking into all the mods i can get now strictly for making better gas mileage or just any tips on cleaning what to get better at it, heres whats done so far.
Throttle body cleaned
new front o2 sensors,

·
Registered
154 Posts
CAI, ud pulleys, exhaust will all get you better mileage.

new fuel filter, mai clean may help you get better mileage if they are dirty

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
a fuel economy tune, aluminum driveshaft, and underdrive pulleys will net you the biggest increase :yes

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
Also, check your o2 sensor. Could be causing the fuel system to be dumping to much gas into the engine at once, cause a low fual rate. I was have gas problems, (haha...gas problems.) until I checked the o2 sensor and found it was completely disconnected.

·
The soul stealing Ginger
5,864 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
what could i get the aluminum driveshaft out of? and will it be a direct bolt on?

·
The soul stealing Ginger
5,864 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
awesome, now what in the scrap yard could i pull one off of, or how much do they run new?

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
for new ur prob looking at a lil over 200 before shipping, depending where u get it from, for used ones u need to make sure they are straight and no dings or anything cause it weakens the driveshaft and it also makes a lot of noise lol

·
The soul stealing Ginger
5,864 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
what do you think the chances are of finding a non-dinged, non chipped driveshaft in a scrapyard? (actual question :D)

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
I doubt an aluminum drive shaft will change fuel economy, unless there is a lot of starting and stopping. Yes some kinetic energy is stored in it, and the steel one is heavier thus has a larger moment of inertia, but at steady speed it isn't using any energy.

New O2 sensors, better flowing exhaust, and cleaning fuel parts should help.

·
The soul stealing Ginger
5,864 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i think im going to go with this setup,

underdrive pulleys first, then im going to take the CATs completely off, and either straight pipe it or flows. aluminumn driveshaft will come whenever i can find one.

·
Registered
4,372 Posts
IF you car is manual. WHen are you shifting? you should not be shifting to the point where you are almost bogging your engine. You are using more fuel then you need to by doing this. U actually get better MPG by shifting with the flow of traffic rather by shifting too early.

·
The soul stealing Ginger
5,864 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
its automatic not manual, 108k miles on it, CATS might already be gutted, we have been trying to figure that out for a while now.

·
¡ʇsnq ɹo uʍop ǝpısdn
12,571 Posts
I doubt an aluminum drive shaft will change fuel economy, unless there is a lot of starting and stopping. Yes some kinetic energy is stored in it, and the steel one is heavier thus has a larger moment of inertia, but at steady speed it isn't using any energy.

New O2 sensors, better flowing exhaust, and cleaning fuel parts should help.
stop doing drugs, less rotational mass is less rotational mass if your car doesn't have to spin so much metal it doesn't have to try as hard when cruising compared to the steel driveshaft

i hear that the police crown victorias had aluminum drive shafts but i might be nuts, check your local craigslist and ebay

·
MM's official Chevy guy
2,024 Posts
taking out your cats will hurt gas millage because you lose low end power so you get in to the higher rpms more and that burns more gas

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
stop doing drugs, less rotational mass is less rotational mass if your car doesn't have to spin so much metal it doesn't have to try as hard when cruising compared to the steel driveshaft

i hear that the police crown victorias had aluminum drive shafts but i might be nuts, check your local craigslist and ebay
Yes, the police crown vics have aluminum driveshafts HOWEVER....good luck finding one in a junkyard...and you are nuts.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts