Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are some good mods to get the most mpg possible out of my V6 Stang i already have a CAI, Pypes exhaust + BBK shorty headers, the 17X9 wheels probably wont help but if you guys got any suggestions they would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
would intakes do much for mpg ? i figure less gas is used when everything runs smoother that way it doesn't have to work as hard to get were it needs to go. am i just pulling things outta my ass or does that make sense?

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
What do you mean by intakes?
CAI or Intake manifolds? I see what you are thinking but you will get minimal gains from a cold air intake, and the gains from port and polished intake manifolds are worthless as well given the amount of work and money spent on them.
If you did both I would guess you would get less than 2 extra miles per gallon.
I would think a tuner would be better if you wanted to specifically more MPG or even if you just wanted HP. But the v6 doesn't respond as well to mods at the V8's do. I would just stick to getting a tuner, cai, and exhaust first and see what you gained, again it will be minimal. If it's not enough by a prius or something lol.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i meant the whole sha bang cai to intake manifold but yeah if its gonna cost me more than its worth in performance, then its really not worth it. Thanks guys for your help ill probably be getting that tuner soon. Is there any suggestions on who to buy from?

·
The soul stealing Ginger
5,864 Posts
ha, go to your TB and turn that screw beside it, we did it as a joke to a buddy of mine, he could only press down the pedal maybe an inch, if that.

·
The George Forman of Keepers
2,356 Posts
I agree with the tuner idea. When I put mine in my MPG went way up. On the Xcal theres an economy tune. Whats crazy it it was still just as fast as the "fast" tune.

Make sure your doing all the normal stuff like monitoring your tire pressures.

·
Registered
811 Posts
basic maintenance on your car really is what helps mpg. i agree a tune will greatly improve the mpg's but also stuff like maintaining properly gaped plugs, fuel filter, air filter, wires, O2 sensors, tire pressure. things like that really do a car wonders when it comes to fuel mileage. and staying out of the gas and shifting earlier can also help.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
i meant the whole sha bang cai to intake manifold but yeah if its gonna cost me more than its worth in performance, then its really not worth it. Thanks guys for your help ill probably be getting that tuner soon. Is there any suggestions on who to buy from?
Joe at Trick Tuners

heard tons of good things about him from a lot of the members here, and is who I'll be going to for an xcal when I get some more mod money

basic maintenance and a light foot will get you the best results

·
Genibus Nitito Canus
2,947 Posts
the biggest thing is driving style. in my 96 GT i regularly got 24 mpg (v8 automatic) just due to driving like a grandma. if i got on it more, the worst i got was 17. in a v6 , those numbers would only go up. bolt-ons will help tho

·
MM's Resident Ricer
9,892 Posts
go back to stock would give you the biggest gain

·
Registered
393 Posts
Bone stock I got 20 Highway... Gears, UD Pullies, Larger TB, Tune, Exhaust, Intake, blah blah.. I still get 20 Highway

·
Registered
990 Posts
put it in neutral and get someone to push you :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts