Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
alright...well.

i was reading some other threads, and i just dont get it. everybody seems to be getting at least 300 miles to a tank. but, my car usually only get about 220-240 miles to a tank. my car has about 153k miles on it. i dont drive crazy, usually i stay under 3k rpm's, maybe 4k if im merging onto the highway. is there any reason im getting such bad gas mileage? (i also have an AM cold air intake, but i dont think thats really helping or hurting) thanks!

·
Absens haeres non erit
2,807 Posts
alright...well.

i was reading some other threads, and i just dont get it. everybody seems to be getting at least 300 miles to a tank. but, my car usually only get about 220-240 miles to a tank. my car has about 153k miles on it. i dont drive crazy, usually i stay under 3k rpm's, maybe 4k if im merging onto the highway. is there any reason im getting such bad gas mileage? (i also have an AM cold air intake, but i dont think thats really helping or hurting) thanks!
When is the last time you changed your plugs, wires, fuel filter, and seafoamed your motor?

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
Do you have a lead foot? Do you have an nice exhuast that you want to keep hearing? Did you put in those sick 4.10's to rip apart the road? Did you cut your springs because your a cheap bastard?

that's wear I am at , and I don't get good mpg either :(

·
Pays in respect
2,891 Posts
I'm in for a tune up right now buddy. Recently got a dual exhaust, new plugs, CAI- I wonder what it could be. I'm thinking my wires/fuel injectors.

·
Not A Regular Member
17,101 Posts
Do you have a lead foot? Do you have an nice exhuast that you want to keep hearing? Did you put in those sick 4.10's to rip apart the road? Did you cut your springs because your a cheap bastard?

that's wear I am at , and I don't get good mpg either :(
Same here man, minus the cut springs. I'm getting about 200 miles per tank :confused:

·
Premium Member
27 Posts
When was the last oil change? Are you low on oil? That can kill mileage.

I know a lot of guys who (because of the lousy economy) have been skipping/delaying oil changes.

Check the level and if you're a quart or so low. Add a quart of detergent oil with a bottle oil system cleaner. You should see the MPGs increase. Let that stuff run through for a few days to clean things up...then change your oil as usual.

·
Tini Tini Bo Bini
9,029 Posts

·
Not A Regular Member
17,101 Posts
i get better mileage in my gt :stickpoke
I believe at some point all of you GT guys got together and came up with a genius plan of telling all the sixxers that you got better gas mileage than them (even though I know you don't since I'm on to your secret), just so you could keep them in their place :shiftyeyes

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ummm.. id dont think iv ever changed any of that. iv only had the car for about 20k miles, none of that actually ever crossed my mind. how much would it cost to replace all that?
and i changed my oil 2k mils ago. its at a good level and is still good for probably another 2.5-3k miles.

·
Not A Regular Member
17,101 Posts
ummm.. id dont think iv ever changed any of that. iv only had the car for about 20k miles, none of that actually ever crossed my mind. how much would it cost to replace all that?
and i changed my oil 2k mils ago. its at a good level and is still good for probably another 2.5-3k miles.
It's all stuff you should be able to do yourself.

Motorcraft/Autolite copper plugs - $10
Spark plug wires - ~$40
Can of Seafoam - $9
Oil/filter - ~$30
Fuel filter - $8
Fuel line disconnect tool - $6'

It's all pretty much beginner stuff. If you really don't trust yourself to do it, expect a couple hundreds dollars plus the cost of parts. And I'm not sure if shops will willingly Seafoam your engine.

Edit: I have some write-ups on how to do a few of these things:

Change Spark Plugs
Seafoam Engine
Change Oil

And here's how to change the fuel filter (never took the time to put it up on my site)

-Hit your inertia switch (inside trunk, behind carpeting on driver side)
-Run the car until it dies
-Jack the car up
-Pry the clips off that hold the fuel lines to the fuel filter
-Use your fuel line removal tool to pop the fuel lines off both sides of the fuel filter
-Wear safety glasses
--Be ready to roll fast, there's probably still fuel in the line
-Use a flat-head screwdriver to loosen the hose clamp around the fuel filter
-Slide the older fuel filter out
-Slide the new fuel filter in
-Tighten the hose clamp
-Reconnect the fuel lines (should "click" into place if I remember correctly)
-Reconnect the clamps holding the fuel lines to the fuel filter
-Put the car back on the ground
-Flip your inertia switch back
-Prime your fuel pump a few times (turn the car on without starting the engine)
-Check for leaks
-Start the car, make sure it's running well, double check for leaks

·
Banned
8,398 Posts
I believe at some point all of you GT guys got together and came up with a genius plan of telling all the sixxers that you got better gas mileage than them (even though I know you don't since I'm on to your secret), just so you could keep them in their place :shiftyeyes
lol, you might be on to something mcqueen:shiftyeyes

·
Banned
8,398 Posts
When is the last time you changed your plugs, wires, fuel filter, and seafoamed your motor?
this is whats recommended to increase mpg, personally I seafoamed, didn't notice much maybe a smoother idle, slight mpg increase if that, changed fuel filter, noticed small mpg increase, and like i think mcqueen said, its all beginner stuff that you are able to do/should learn to do imo.

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
Gas mileage? What is that?

Check your air filter, plugs, O2 sensors throwing a code?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
thank guys! i know how to do a lot of the stuff, and what i dont, im a quick learner. i have a car lifts, and all the tools i need at home to do pretty much anything i need to. where can i get seafoam at? and what exactly does that do?

·
Not A Regular Member
17,101 Posts
thank guys! i know how to do a lot of the stuff, and what i dont, im a quick learner. i have a car lifts, and all the tools i need at home to do pretty much anything i need to. where can i get seafoam at? and what exactly does that do?
You can pick up Seafoam at any auto parts store. Hell, even my local Wal-Mart carries it in the automotive section. It was developed as a fuel system cleaner but as it turns out it's very good at breaking down carbon buildup in engines. General rule - 1/3 can in the gas tank, 1/3 can in the valve cover, 1/3 can in the upper intake (via PCV hose).

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
i wanna hear your theories too. aha

and thanks! ill check some places out! hopefully i can get all this done soon so i can save some money on gas.

·
Registered
615 Posts
fuel pump?

do you have 22inch chrome wheels? do you have a heavy sound system?

uhh I don't know of anything else besides the already mentioned things..

·
Registered
41 Posts
I'm glad this topic came up because I've had the same problem w/ my car. I do the oil change routinely, I changed the fuel filter, cleaned the air filter changed plugs and wires, I even cleaned the maf sensor and throttle body and it still drives like crap. I only average about 200 miles per tank and the car doesnt accelerate as fast as it should. Heck, I cant even pass cars to change lanes. Anyone have any suggestions?

1 - 20 of 42 Posts