Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Why not have a Fox?
5,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do the gas tanks on these cars
have an overfil flow hose or something? Because i was filling up and wasnt paying attention and gas began to flow from the top side of the tank. Not from the filling neck. Hope it doesnt have a leak

·
Better than Drugs!
2,064 Posts
pump gasket not sealing and caused leak. drop tank and inspect. My 99 gt has a problem like that and it was the ring gasket for the pump hat

·
In over my head
1,116 Posts
Ryan is right, that's a common culprit. Also, the evap tube that goes to your charcoal canister just pops into the top. I know when I dropped my tank the seal for that was garbage.

·
Resident Know-it-all
2,965 Posts
This^^ and the hose coming off of it could have been pinched off when fuel pump was changed. Ive seen this a lot. It will eventually rip and tear from dry rot.

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
battery relocated? sub box?

·
Resident Know-it-all
2,965 Posts
Ive seen that before too.

·
Registered
3,352 Posts
Those tank grommets wear out and start leak to leak. Use a little oil or gas on the inside of the grommet and try not to cut it (or your fingers) with the filler tube. The seals for the lock rings wear out to. If you need any of the fuel line clips, try the auto parts store. Look for the Help! section. Sometimes the clips break on you when the lines are removed. Even if you dont need them, they are nice to have when the parts store is closed. Been there done that.

If you are replacing the lockring seal for the pump, check the pump baffle. The spot welds weaken with age and can rattle a bit which can be one of those noises you just cant figure out. Should be fine if you dont hear anything yet, but they do go bad. Just throwing that out there. Our rides arent getting any younger.

As for an overfill hose, yes, the Fox cars have one. Its attatched to the plastic shield that is screwed to the body just behind the fuel door. Its a rubber hose that lets excess fuel spill onto the pavement, or your new pair of work boots. The other end of the hose should fit into a hole in the bumper cover. Its there should the gas stations automatic shutoffs stop working and the fuel keeps pumping. This isnt your problem, but there you go.

·
Registered
1,789 Posts

·
Why not have a Fox?
5,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
As for an overfill hose, yes, the Fox cars have one. Its attatched to the plastic shield that is screwed to the body just behind the fuel door. Its a rubber hose that lets excess fuel spill onto the pavement, or your new pair of work boots.
Thats exactly what happend. You sure this isnt what happend? ill drop the tank eventually to check but it only happend once when i was tryin to get as much in as possible. the gas came from the pasenger side of the tank close to the fillneck. and yes i acctually was wearing Brand freakin new wolverine work boots, kinda piss be off lol

1 - 14 of 14 Posts