Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
got a 06 gt and i am new to doing mods just an intake and pipes are on the way. Should i continue to use reg gas or increase octane.

·
Registered
3,680 Posts
i know im going to get flamed for this.. but i use 93. ford says i the manual please use 87 octane... you car will knock slightly... **** YOU FORD!!! IM ON HIGH OCTANE TABELS.

·
Skirt Chasing Philanderer
14,391 Posts
What intake did you order? Most likely you will need a tuner and the tune will tell you what gas you need to run with it. When I was stock ( before I even had a tune ) I ran 89 in mine...

·
Registered
5,102 Posts
I use 87 unless I put my 91 octane Race tune

·
Registered
3,580 Posts
i always used 93 since the day i got it, my car ran like **** with the 87 octane.

·
Registered
3,680 Posts
i always used 93 since the day i got it, my car ran like **** with the 87 octane.
i feel the same way... in higher gears, i would hear a slight amount of ping.
looked in the owners manual... walla. amazing what ford did to these motors so they'll be cheaper to own (on gas anyway) i still fill er up with mobil 1 and motorcraft filter everytime too. all these canned tunes do is throw in that much more timing.. stupid sales propaganda. gives us our tweaked gt's please, ford.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Bottom line is that with the CAI you will need a tune. I have an 87, 91 and 93 tune and normally run the 91, however with prices going throught the roof I might tune back to 87. 93 is almost impossible to find where I live. Your tune will determine what octane you use. I ran 87 before the mods and she ran fine.

·
Bob The Mo'fukkin Builda!
10,234 Posts
i have a 93 tune in mine, but when i drive to tulsa they only have 91. i still have no problem when i have to fill up with that.

·
Registered
3,680 Posts
just listen for ping... i test my gas in 4th gear, about 35-40 a/c on jab the gas... if you here it ping, pull some time for your octane

·
Registered
133 Posts
I have used 87 since day 1. Even after my intake and exhaust I have had no problems, although my car is garage kept and not driven in rain, snow, etc. I have only put 3800 miles on it since January 2007.

93 will come after T/B spacer, X-pipe, and tune.

·
Registered
743 Posts
I have used 87 since day 1. Even after my intake and exhaust I have had no problems, although my car is garage kept and not driven in rain, snow, etc. I have only put 3800 miles on it since January 2007.

93 will come after T/B spacer, X-pipe, and tune.
Dave you gotta get out more...whats the point of having such a classic American icon and it stay in the garage all the time? JK jealous b/c I have no other ride to drive right now

·
IBEATU
5,919 Posts
The computers in our cars can sense the higher octane and adjust to it. When the S197 was first released, MM&FF did a few dyno test and picked up 3 rwhp running 93 instead of 87. I ran 93 stock and now 93 Performance tune.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts