Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
2002 Mustang 3.8L w/Auto
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. So, I just bought this 2002 mustang. I bought it from California and it was from an impound auction. The car at one point had a breathalyzer installed. I was told the previous owner tried to remove the machine himself and got busted. Anyways, my fuel gauge and temp gauge are not working properly. Fuel reads full, and the temp is right until the seatbelt light goes off. Then the gauge drops and the lights dim slightly. When I first got the car, the drivers kick panel was removed, and I noticed that where the grounding screw is, the ground wire is missing. More than likely, thats where the breathalyzer was grounded. Looks like 3 wires have been cut off. I can't locate and wires sticking out, and I'm not sure if the come from under the dash, or from the harness going to the back. Does anyone know where I need to start looking? I'm thinking if I can find the missing ground wire(s) that may fix my issue. Thanks in advance for any info.

· Registered
2002 Mustang 3.8L w/Auto
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I can't recall for sure if a stock ground goes here or not. Kinda looks like a trim screw now that I look closer. My fuel pump is bad and I am wondering if the sending unit could be causing the issue.

Attachments

· Super Moderator
4,940 Posts
As you suspected that’s not a factory ground location. Are you getting any codes at all?

· Registered
2002 Mustang 3.8L w/Auto
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The codes are for the 02 sensors. Of course the cats and the back 02's are gone. But nothing else. I pulled the fuel tank and found the pump assembly lying on it's side. The bracket for holding the pump assembly is also gone. So that explains the full tank reading. I have a new tank, pump assembly, and of course a new alternator ordered and on the way. Mid week I suppose. This car has had a pretty hard life. I will update as soon as I get the parts on. I appreciate the help.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts