Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have decided to go with 3.73 gears after some research. i have a guy that said he will do it for 325 if i bring the gears. i just have some questions about this install before i do it.

do i need to calibrate the speedo to accomodate the new gears? if so, do the places who install the gears usually do it? if no, what kind of shop would and how much does it usually cost?

·
Registered
2,950 Posts

·
Free Mouth Hugs
9,037 Posts
Im Not to sure about it costing 325 to install, But I would call around and ask or wait for some more reply's on here.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
its not uncommon for them to charge that much

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
now i am not very smart when it comes to cars, i just have a knack for running into sums of money that can pay for installs and parts lol...and i lack a lift, all i have a is a small jack. so should i just search around for somebody that can install the speedo gear?

and what is this knocking that i hear of that it seems like i should be weary of?

·
Free Mouth Hugs
9,037 Posts
knocking?! Post a vid.. But its not good no matter what. LOL

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
no i dont have any, but through all the threads i read about gears people talk about a knocking they get if the mechanic does a bad job

·
Registered
2,950 Posts

·
Banned
3,385 Posts
Speedo Gear Chart
5 Speed | 1983-89 | 1990-93 | 1994-98
Ratio/Tran. gear
2.73/ **** 16t **|** 19t **|** 21t
3.27/ **** 19t **|** 21t **|** 21t
3.55/ **** 20t **|** 23t **|** 23t
3.73/ **** 21t **|** 23t **|** 23t
4.10/ **** 23t **|** 23t **|** 23t

Changing the speedo gear out is simple. It's one bolt and it's on the lower side of your transmission so it's not too hard to get to at all just jack the car up from k member and put jack stands under it. Crawl under and unbolt the sucker, pull it out and install the new one.

I've had gears done a bunch of times and i've paid anywhere from $200 to $300. Each time I supplied the correct ring/pinion and installation kit and the noise your referring to in the other threads are from people installing without having the proper clearance or play.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
gotchya...sounds like an easy enough install for the speedo gear...thanks for the help

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
alright, so after searching during the winter i found a garage that will buy the gear install kit, speedo, and install it all for 450. seems like a good deal to follow through with when i go into surgery unless you guys can convince me otherwise

·
Registered
178 Posts
now i am not very smart when it comes to cars, i just have a knack for running into sums of money that can pay for installs and parts lol...and i lack a lift, all i have a is a small jack. so should i just search around for somebody that can install the speedo gear?

and what is this knocking that i hear of that it seems like i should be weary of?
i got that knocking too. if i dont drive my car for like a week and i go to take off, ill hear one big bang. i definately know its either in the rear, or where the driveshaft bolts to the yoke. It only happeneds once a week though. It sounds like my ring or pinion has a broken tooth or something.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
ok...i was just wondering what the knocking was just in case i heard it...i dont have anything like that yet though.

and yea...will definitely get all receipts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
no...the surgery is a shoulder reconstruction, and i figure i might as well just have the car worked on while im recovering...like a gift to myself for when i can finally drive again after the healing is done

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.