Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
MMs Ford Racing Nut Swinger
4,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I called my dealer where I bought my car new & they want 1200 bucks + parts to swap the rear gears. I am guessing they just are so busy they on work on stupid peoples cars??
I live in Central Iowa. Does anyone know of anyone that will do this right & resonable arround here??

·
Blood, Sweat and Gears...
2,139 Posts
I payed @ $800 for my 4.10's installed at the dealership. That sounds like a lot of money Dude.

·
May 08 ROTM
7,192 Posts
Holy highway robbery.. Take a trip over the border into Illinois, you'll get it done for 30% of that cost.. Plenty of speed shops in the Cordova area if it's not too far for you..

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
26.00 for an oil change. I am guessing they just dont want to change gears??
More than likely. They may have done it in the past and had to redo someone's install due to gear whine and adjusted their price to accomodate that possibility.

·
Skirt Chasing Philanderer
14,391 Posts
Theres no way that price is right. An oil change at the dealership pays .3 hr. Even if the entire 26 was labor ( which its not it has to include oil and filter ) that means they are charging $86.66 an hour for labor. Which in turn means their trying to charge you for 13.84 hrs for a gear install. That is a bit rediculous. @ most they should charge 8 hours ( which is still a bit high but reasonable. I would go somewhere else and get a quote or like Emay said take a drive into Illinios...
( Dont quote my math, it may be off a little as I tried to go through it quick )

And dealers work flat rate, which means the tech gets paid for the time wether it takes him half of the time or twice the time. If he did an install once and it came back it would be on the techs head ( tech is redoing for free ) not on the dealership. If it came back it would not cost the dealer a dime more...

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
And dealers work flat rate, which means the tech gets paid for the time wether it takes him half of the time or twice the time. If he did an install once and it came back it would be on the techs head ( tech is redoing for free ) not on the dealership. If it came back it would not cost the dealer a dime more...

Ahhh, always wondered about that.

·
MM's Mad Scientist
5,101 Posts
I would rather buy the tools & a good how to book 1st. But I would rather it be done by someone who knows what they are doing...
Wait, wait, wait..............

I have restored a 1972 VW super bettle, 1975 Ford Bronco, 1969 F-250 4x4 XLT, & 3 antique boats. I owned a 1993 Mustang feature car. I was raised on Chevys. My dad had great luck with them & bad luck with Fords. I on the otherhand have had bad luck with GM & great luck with Fords. So I am sure the fact that I bleed Ford Blue, My Dad is likely rolling over in his grave..

You have restored cars, broncos, 4X4's, and you had a feeature (??) car, but you can't swap your own axle gears. You better get your lies straight. All these threads are starting to sound like Bullshit.............

·
Your Mom's Favorite
2,452 Posts
Damn...did you check if that price includes new axle bearings? Cuz you don't need that ****...just gears, shims, and oil. I thought $500 was high, but that takes the cake...

·
4,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Wait, wait, wait..............

You have restored cars, broncos, 4X4's, and you had a feeature (??) car, but you can't swap your own axle gears. You better get your lies straight. All these threads are starting to sound like Bullshit.............
That doesnt mean I did 100% of the work my self. If you want me to break it all down for you per vehichle on what work I did & didnt do, fine. But theres no lies there.. I didnt say I was an engine builder or rear end builder.

Your just cranky because I think it is BS to put a chevy engine in a mustang.. Its my opinion.. get over it.

·
MM's Mad Scientist
5,101 Posts
That doesnt mean I did 100% of the work my self. If you want me to break it all down for you per vehichle on what work I did & didnt do, fine. But theres no lies there.. I didnt say I was an engine builder or rear end builder.

Your just cranky because I think it is BS to put a chevy engine in a mustang.. Its my opinion.. get over it.
Get ready for the pain Noob. You have run your face long enough around here. Why don't you just go back to your Focus Forums where you belong and I will leave you alone.

·
4,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ohhh & since you are not to up on your fords. The 1993 Mustang Feature Car I owned was a special edition mustang put out by Ford in 1993. there were 5000 yellow ones made & 2500 white ones. They were all 5.0 lx verts So it was built by Ford not by me..

·
MM's Mad Scientist
5,101 Posts
So it was built by Ford not by me..
Hey, you're the one advertising someone elses work as your own in other threads. If you didn't do the work and you don't know what you're talking about, don't open your mouth and take credit for it.

·
MM's Mad Scientist
5,101 Posts
Ohhh & since you are not to up on your fords. The 1993 Mustang Feature Car I owned was a special edition mustang put out by Ford in 1993. there were 5000 yellow ones made & 2500 white ones. They were all 5.0 lx verts So it was built by Ford not by me..
7500 cars?? Were they limited to how many Ford could sell?

1 - 20 of 47 Posts