Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As always, I am on the tightest budget possible. I already have the FRPP 4:10's and SCT Tuner on the way. However, I have to make a decision regarding who will be doing the install. Price is always the big decision here. I have a couple of options, and depending which option I choose, I will need extra parts.

Options 1
I have a buddy who will charge me $160 to install gears, with me doing most of the work. We would both be doing it, but he would be basically guiding me and helping when I need it. If I take it to him, I would need all the oil, lsd additive, and the crush sleeves, seals, etc.

Now, this is where I get stuck. WHAT exactly do I need if I were to go this route? I need 3 bottles of gear oil, I know that. What kind to buy and where? I also need a bottle of lsd additive. What kind and where to purchase. I was told I also need crush sleeves, pinion seals, etc. What brand to buy and where?

Option 2

Take it to Arizona Differential and have them install them for me. When I talked with Nate on the phone today from AZ Diff, he said I would need this kit that costs $49 from them and oil/additive as well. He said including labor and all the necessary parts (granted I already have the ring and pinion), I would be right at the $280 mark.

Now, with option 1, I figure $10 per 3 bottles of gear oil = $30. Roughly $20 for the pinion seal AND the crush sleeves (and that would be at my local Shucks or whatever so not sure if they would be quality parts). Roughly $10 for the bottle of lsd additive. Lets say $60 with tax for all parts necessary to complete the job. $160+60=$220.

I figure I can pay $60 more than have the job done quickly and pain free. What do you all think about everything?

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Awesome. I am not doing it myself, I already said that. My mechanic is going to guide me through step by step. I want to know the specific things I mentioned in the OP. Thanks for the article though, I will be sure to read through it.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK, well I just wanted to get some guidance here.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I choose option two based only on that any business worth a **** would have a warranty.

With the attention to detail a ring and pinion takes I would want to make sure that the installation was correct the first time.

·
Registered
7,186 Posts
for the small price tag extra (your buddy is charging $160 just for his guidance?) i would just take it to the shop

·
All Homo All The Time
2,917 Posts
If he was a friend he should ask for a pizza and a 12 pack to help, otherwise for that kind of money take it to a shop and get a warranty.

·
Registered
149 Posts
option #2 hands down

·
US Air Force (retired)
13,542 Posts
Definitely option 2, Arizona Differential. In my opinion there would be less down time, less chance of gear whine, and less frustration.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Awesome thanks for clarifying guys. That's what I was thinking all along. Option 2 it is!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts