Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I talked to a friend of mine and he said he would help me install my gears. He's done it afew times so happy I get to save money for shocks and struts. I had acouple questions on tools however. According to the guide I need a dial indicator, he said he can do it without but it would be best to have one. I'm going to purchase one offline since I return home in acouple weeks from overseas it'll be waiting for me. Does anyone have a good one in mind? Idk anything about them. Also it says a hydraulic press. Is this a requirement? If so can I just take the parts that require the press to a car shop or something? Also I don't believe I have new gears or an installation kit. Also anything else I may need? Thanks a lot in advance

·
Registered
104 Posts
I had a buddy of mine do my gears as well. He has done a lot. When i was helping him out yes he had a dial indicator and got his from harbor freight and said it works just as good. About the hydraulic press he had one, but couldn't find the parts he was looking for to use it for my gears. So he used did it himself and hammer and a pipe that would go around the pinion. It's actually not that bad to do just make sure to do it right the first time. Plus i did order the installation kit but only used a few things out of it since my 07 gt/cs only has 20K miles on it.

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
You need a dial indicator. And instead of a press you can hear up the bearing and when it expands just drop it on. That's what I did

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok I'll talk to him about those techniques of doing it without the press. I don't have the installation kit so I'll go ahead and bearings. I'll check out that caliber also. Thanks

·
Registered
3,776 Posts
Man you are a brave man! That's one thing that has to be dialed in perfect! Good luck!

·
Registered
104 Posts
I learned a lot from my friend, but one thing you really got to do is take your time and be patient and do the job right. Make sure you're day is cleared of plans and enjoy yourself while doing it. I know it took use awhile to get out the pinion from the back because it didn't want to come loose. Other thank that it was a walk in the park and i'll be changing my next set of gears on my next car whenever that come's along. It took us about 3 hours from start to finish.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts