Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So im going to be getting my gears installed this friday and the guy tells me that sometimes the ABS sensors in the rear are very fragile and if theres rust on them they have to brake them and take them out in order to do the gears. And of course i would be charged for them if thats the case. does this sound normal to you guys? It is a reputable shop from what ive heard...but it seems after talking to him the price is adding up. He says totall for gear installation should be around 600 bucks but the sensors are 75 a piece?

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
dam...thanks guys... you guys are saving me money AGAIN!! Im going to through a different shop then. But now im going to have to wait a couple weeks.

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
to bad its not something i can do myself... so this other shop im considering says i can buy my own set of gears if i wanted to. So I would need to buy the gears...and gear installation kit?

·
Registered
922 Posts
There is NO reason why anything should happen to the abs sensors during a gear job. There are abs rings pressed onto the axles just behind the wheel stud flange and there is a little sensor attached to the rear brake caliper bracket, but unless you are dealing with a total clown, nothing should ever happen to any of that stuff. I would steer clear of this tard.

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yeah thanks guys...im gonna go with the other shop just not sure if ill save money if i buy the parts myself.

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
so i was just talking to the guy from the other shop im going to go with and he even said the abs sensor thing is BS... but he also told me that motive gears are better than FRP... they are only like 50 bucks more but overall the price from this guy is going to be at least 100 bucks cheaper...what do you guys think?

·
Registered
428 Posts
FRP, Motive, and Richmond are all good gears, as long as they are installed correctly. I say get whatever brand you prefer. I dont see how you could go wrong with FRP but its your choice.

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
he must have been thinking you had an IRS or something??? the ABS rings are right beside the chunk on the IRS and its easy to break them... we broke one on my brothers cobra.......... but its not like that on the solid axle!

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So I email the original shop who told me about the ABS sensors and he told me the reason they will get in the way is because they drop the whole axel to do a gear install?

·
KCCO
14,878 Posts
So I email the original shop who told me about the ABS sensors and he told me the reason they will get in the way is because they drop the whole axel to do a gear install?

now that's retarded. all you have to do is disconnect the driveshaft and everything goes easy from there. why the hell would you drop the whole axle??:no

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
they don't have to, all he has to do is pull the clips off from inside the chunk and slide the axles out of the tubes just a little bit

·
Registered
922 Posts
Dude, you should laugh in that guys ear and hang up the phone. Even if you did "drop the whole rear axle" which is completely un-necessary, they still wouldnt be in the way. I think you might be talking to that Stroker guy from the 4.10 thread, LOL!

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
thanks shocker... im just not going to deal with this guy at all. I think i got his pantys in a bunch by asking him if he thought i had IRS.

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
this guys shop is attached to a ford dealership?!?! ... im no expert thats why im on here asking you guys questions but i did turn a wrench in the ARMY MOS= 63 whiskey... so its kinda fu*&ed up that people out there still try and nickel n dime you... if they think you dont know ****!!

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
So it looks like im going with Speed INC ....they are GM LS-1 shop! they told me $450 to do the gear install

1 - 20 of 30 Posts