Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
how do i change my gear oil, i just added 4.10 gears and a t-lock and i have my 500 miles of break in time finished so i need to change my oil. I bought royal purple gear oil but i dont know how to drain the old oil or how to add the new one, is it something i can do or should i pay the $45 for fire hawk automotive to do it?

·
Registered
146 Posts
its not hard but can be messey if you do it yourself on the floor. If you have the factory diff cover you just take the bolts out and pry the cover off slowly and the gear oil will just drain out. re install the cover with a new gasket. then on the other side of the rear housing you will see the fill plug it is either a 3/8 or 1/2 square hole you can use your a ratchet to take out the plug its located above the pinionon the driver side of the car then fill with gear oil this is a pain to do usually i get a 1/2 hose and stick it on the cap of the gear oil bottleand squeeze it in buy an extra quart of gear oil cause on the ground you will not get all of it out of the bottle good luck
if it were me i would pay the 45 if it includes the gear oil

·
Registered
140 Posts
I just did my Girdle, and its not hard. Don't use the gasket, it sucks. I did and i'm taking it off because it's slowly leaking. RTV it and save the trouble or just have the shop do it so if it leaks, then take it back. Put Royal Purple and put either LPW or T/A girdle while your doing it. Advance Auto has a ciphen pump to ease the filling. I used 3.25 Quarts of royal purple and never over flowed. The aftermarket girdle requires .5 more quarts. Good luck.

·
Registered
37 Posts
To save from having to reseal the diff cover, you can get a small hand oil pump from autozone for like $3 or so and just slide the tube in the filler hole and suck the old oil out. Then fill it back up. You might not get every last drop out, but its much easier that way. For $45 id be tempted to just let the shop do it though.

·
Registered
6,038 Posts
its not hard but can be messey if you do it yourself on the floor. If you have the factory diff cover you just take the bolts out and pry the cover off slowly and the gear oil will just drain out. re install the cover with a new gasket. then on the other side of the rear housing you will see the fill plug it is either a 3/8 or 1/2 square hole you can use your a ratchet to take out the plug its located above the pinionon the driver side of the car then fill with gear oil this is a pain to do usually i get a 1/2 hose and stick it on the cap of the gear oil bottleand squeeze it in buy an extra quart of gear oil cause on the ground you will not get all of it out of the bottle good luck
if it were me i would pay the 45 if it includes the gear oil
this is amazing thank yuou so much. I was having trouble finding this info and look here... rep

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
$45 but thats with out the oil is what they are charging me for.... i got my own oil royal purple from AM.com i only got 3 quarts i hope thats enough.

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
Because of the smell of gear oil, and how messy it can be pay the 45 bucks. It is a bargin at twice the price. If you put and aftermarket cover on the car it has a fill port at the top and a drain port at the bottom. You can drill a 3/4 to 1 inch hole in the spare tire well, and run a hose directly to the fill port, and you can find a rubber body pulg to fill the hole.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
so because i supplied the oil the really nice guy at firehawk automotive changed my gear oil for free so i didn't pay one penny really nice guys there and they do a great job.

·
Registered
6,038 Posts
i did mine on my own. Smell was bad and the mess was big. It only takes like 2 1/2 quarts apparently. Unlike the owners manual saying 4.25 quarts....

Anyway big mess, I used RP, and it took me about an hour and a half.

This in a nutshell is a pain in the ass

·
Registered
1 Posts
Stinky? Messy? Aw come on, men! Mix a tad of Royal Purple with a bottle of Hoppes #9. You just created the finest men's cologne on God's green earth!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts