Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Which is more of an "acceleration" gear ratio : 3.27 1st gear or 2.87 1st gear? My guess would be the 3.27 is quicker accelerating but i want to be sure b4 i get my new trans. (TKO500)
Sorry if this is a kind of "newb" question but i'm not the most knowledgeable guy when it comes to transmissions if you know what i mean..:)

·
Premium Member
11,367 Posts
Get the 2.87 first gear. Although you might think the car will be faster with the 3.27 first gear because it is lower, that is usually not the case. With a 3.27 gear you have a wider gap between first and second gear versus having a 2.87 gear so you may fall out of your power range when you shift from first to second. Another issue that you might run into with higher horsepower cars is not being able to keep up with the first second gear change when launching the car because the rpm winds up so fast.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yea that's what i was thinking because i know i'm not exactly lightning quick at shiftin the gears an that would make it even harder to do quickly considerin i'm gonna go with a supercharger top end up in the 450-500hp range. thanks again for the input darrell!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts