Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2008 GT automatic with SCT Tuner, JLT Cold Air, and exhaust. Im planning on getting gears next and not sure which ones to get.

I drive about 7,000 to 9,000 miles a year and mostly in town driving. I also don't want to sacrifice drivability. I know that any gear I get will effect gas and drivability to a certain extent but I dont want anything extreme. My car is currently equipped with 3.31's. I do plan on going to the track just to get some numbers but this is not a track car and I will not frequent the track.

From everything I have read about gears I would like to stay with Ford Racing but I am open to suggestions. The gears of interest are 3.73, 3.90, and 4.10.

Any suggestions and past experience would very helpful! Thanks

·
Registered
739 Posts
With auto's I think the general consensus is 3.73.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I have a roots sc ( magnacharger) with a 2.9 pulley ...8.5 lbs of boost... Do you suggest 3.73's, 4.10's or maybe some 3.90's? I run a Mickey Thompson DR 2 .. 305/35/18 and a 3400 stall.. Thanks

·
Registered
961 Posts
4.10s for sure.

·
Blood, Sweat and Gears...
2,139 Posts
I had 4.10s in my 07 GT auto and In my opinion it was too much gear, I wish I would of gone with the 3.73's. Now that I have a manual tranny the 4.10's are perfect.

·
babe, let's get packed
2,034 Posts
General rule is 4.10 on manual, 3.73's on auto. Only problem with the 3.90's is you can't get FRPP parts and there is a rumor that Motive gears whine.

I have the 4.10's on my car and have no complaints. The Hurst helps too. ;)

·
Registered
763 Posts
General rule is 4.10 on manual, 3.73's on auto. Only problem with the 3.90's is you can't get FRPP parts and there is a rumor that Motive gears whine.

I have the 4.10's on my car and have no complaints. The Hurst helps too. ;)
not true if they are installed right they will not whine! i have 0 noise out of mine!

·
Registered
789 Posts
I have frpp 4.10s but I'm in a manual. Seems like you'd wanna go with the 3.73s as everyone is suggesting. Mine whine though, on decel, its called backlash. And it got a little louder with my lca's because of the poly bushings. Just make sure you find a very reputable shop to install them or you'll have either have to replace them later or deal with the noise. It doesn't bother me cause my exhaust is loud but its inconvient.

·
3v reppin'
3,454 Posts
3:73's with a manual transmission and I love it. Good bite but still very drivable.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Gear ratio is really going to depend on some factors. Stock tire size, manual trans, 4.10's are probably good enough (regardless of blower type)

I am running a 29.5" tire on the street (305/45/18) with manual trans and Procharger. The 4.10 wasnt enough gear (effective 3.90). So, went 4.56 (effective 4.3x). I run a 28" slick on 1/4 mile and going to run a 26" slick on 1/8 mile to put the car in the powerband and keep it there down the track.

I really don't mind it on the street either.

·
Registered
77 Posts
4.10s in a manual, what kind of RPM would be seen at 80mph? I frequently take trips to Florida in the car (3-4 hr drive)...

·
Registered
763 Posts
"And you know that for a fact?"

I have run Motive Gears in two Mustangs. Car was taken to the best shop around here. They have done Hundreds of gear swaps. I have never had any noise out of any motive gear i have ran. 3:73 in my old 07 6'er, and now 3:90 in my GT. I had 4:10's put in a 03 GT I had FRPP Gears. Didnt take it to the shop i stated before, Just took it to a shop that said they could do it. They did it but they were noisy as all hell. I also have a few guys i used to work with Who took ther car to diffrent shops, They used FRPP, Motive, and Richmond. They all had noise out of there gears. in the end they went to the shop i recomended, and have since had no noise. So yes i would say that is fact enough for me that its all in the install.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Great to hear. And thanks for recognizing my post, even if it was to disagree with me. Statistically speaking, my tech post are totally ignored.
I wasnt trying to put what you said down or anything. Iv just had experince with motive and have had no problem. I know people that have but once taken to a good shope there noise was gone.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts