Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Blood, Sweat and Gears...
2,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had my 4.10's installed by a local ford dealership last spring. When I did my LCA's this year I looked at how much I can turn the drive shaft without the axles moving. I think 1/8th turn is to much, but I am no mechanic. I would think you would want some slop for when the diff gets hot and things get tight. I would think it would be a matter of installing more spacers to pick up some of the backlash.. Does anyone have any thoughts?

·
Eat Springs, **** Valves
9,332 Posts
My friend had a similar problem on his Sport Trac. Turns out whoever worked on the rear end last forgot to put a crush sleeve back in before putting everything back together.

·
2,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How much back lash should I have ?

·
Registered
872 Posts
Unless the rearend is whining on decel or accel, I wouldn't worry about it. Some "slack" is normal.

·
2,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have clunking when I am driving the car easy.. as long as I have a load on it is quite

·
Registered
623 Posts
I would have them check the backlash, they're going to have to remove the rear diff. cover and attach a magnetic dial indicator to measure it. I find these rears tend to have .008-.010 of backlash. Your going to have some play when you turn the driveshaft because your taking up slack in the backlash, spider gears and other parts of the diff. I don't care what anyone says, these rears start sounding clunky when you start changing gears and LCAs.

·
3v reppin'
3,454 Posts
I had the same problem with my car when I bought it used. If I was driving really easy they clunked around like crazy when I shifted. I had them check and sure enough the backlash was wrong and it couldn't be fixed or it would cause a crazy whine. I ended up getting new gears out of the deal. Thankful for the "Ford Certified" on that window sticker now.

·
Registered
789 Posts
I have whine on decel when its in gear only. Nothing to crazy but its noticeable. My mechanic assured me the pattern was dead on but could only blame the gears for my problem (frpp) I haven't had any drivability issues whatsoever other then the noise.

·
2,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If this turns out to be normal for my 4.10's and my LCA's/UCA combo I would be cool with that.... I don't want a lazy decision to bite me in the end.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts