Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I don't plan to do any hardcore drag racing but I would like to run at the local flashlight drags this summer. The first drags are coming up May 15th. I'm also interested in improving street performance.

I'm sure this has been asked 1,000's of times but I'll ask again. :)

Anyway, I'm thinking a bout a gear swap. I'm currently running the factory 3.55's and have read a lot about moving up (down) to 3.73's or 4.10's.

What will I gain and which gear is the one to go with?

A local speed shop quoted me a price of $525.00. This includes Ford Racing gears, install kit and Royal Purple gear oil plus labor. Average price? They suggested running the 4.10's.

I guess a retune will be in order but to maintain ROUSH's warranty I have to have them do the tuning.

My current set up is as follows...

The car is a 2010, 4.6, 5spd, ROUSH M90 super charger, SLP Loudmouth axle back exhaust, Hyperco coils, Hotchkis sway bars and adjustable panhard bar. I should add that is is sitting on Pirelli P ZERO NERO P235/50 ZR 18 97W tires.

Any advice would be appreciated.

·
Registered
48 Posts
i dont think you will be happy with the 3.73. go with the 4.10. The difference is slight but the feeling you will get on the low end is awesome. especially since you already have 3.55 gears in there now. 4.10 is the way to go.

·
obsessed
374 Posts
So I don't plan to do any hardcore drag racing but I would like to run at the local flashlight drags this summer. The first drags are coming up May 15th. I'm also interested in improving street performance.

I'm sure this has been asked 1,000's of times but I'll ask again. :)

Anyway, I'm thinking a bout a gear swap. I'm currently running the factory 3.55's and have read a lot about moving up (down) to 3.73's or 4.10's.

What will I gain and which gear is the one to go with?

A local speed shop quoted me a price of $525.00. This includes Ford Racing gears, install kit and Royal Purple gear oil plus labor. Average price? They suggested running the 4.10's.

I guess a retune will be in order but to maintain ROUSH's warranty I have to have them do the tuning.

My current set up is as follows...

The car is a 2010, 4.6, 5spd, ROUSH M90 super charger, SLP Loudmouth axle back exhaust, Hyperco coils, Hotchkis sway bars and adjustable panhard bar. I should add that is is sitting on Pirelli P ZERO NERO P235/50 ZR 18 97W tires.

Any advice would be appreciated.
Sorry I don't have an educated answer for you but I am curious to know the outcome because I thought about putting new gears in mine to. BTW I noticed you are in PA. What part do you live in? I think you are the first person that I've seen on here that is even remotely close to me. I'm about 20 minutes north of Pittsburgh in Sewickley PA.

·
Registered
24 Posts
2010 i have a m-90 and just put the 4.10 in and all i can say is wow. one of the best mods i have done so far. as for the strip dont expect to much with street tires, your 60ft times will be in the 2.0-2.2 range. when your not concerned about the warranty, look up vmp tuning he sells a kit with a smaller blower pulley and tune which will get your car up to around 420hp to the tires.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
07csstang,
Thanks for the info, 420 HP at the rear wheel sounds good to me. I have to decide whether to work with ROUSH and keep the warranty or to move onto other higher HP options. I like the idea of a warranty and the car already has plenty of power... who am I kidding, you can never have enough power! :no

·
Registered
277 Posts
I just did the 4.10 gear swap and from the 3.23 or whatever it comes stock with and it made a huge difference, but for you man you WILL NEED some drag radials or the gears will be pointless. In my bolt on GT I spin all of first half of second and sometimes chirp third, I'd imagine in your car it would be like ice skating. Oh and yes the gears are awesome!!! It should be the first mod lol

·
Registered
441 Posts
DONT FEAR THE GEAR :)

I've got a set of 4.10's sitting in my room awaiting install. My buddy just put 3.73's in his 08 and loves it! So just go for it :)

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
I just did the 4.10 gear swap and from the 3.23 or whatever it comes stock with and it made a huge difference, but for you man you WILL NEED some drag radials or the gears will be pointless. In my bolt on GT I spin all of first half of second and sometimes chirp third, I'd imagine in your car it would be like ice skating. Oh and yes the gears are awesome!!! It should be the first mod lol
Are you talking about needing drag radials at the strip or street or both? I agree 4.10s on street tires on the strip are not a good match but on the street 4.10s and street tires are fine.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts