Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know there are many threads describing gear ratios and 8.8 rear end swaps. What I want to know (since I couldn't find a definite answer), is if I should keep my stock rear end and install 3.73 (or 4.10) gears?

I've heard a bunch of great things about both gears, but what do you recommend for me? I have a 07 v6, manual trans, and I don't do too much highway driving. I've just decided to keep the stang through college and drop some mods in for fun :) I know I will have to get a tuner before the gears, and I will. My next mods will be the basic CAI/tuner combo, then eventually gears.

Let me know :D

·
Registered
597 Posts
I agree with Alexander III go with the 8.8 and what ever gears that suit your needs, I am going with 3.73's and 8.8 rearend.

Basically the way I look at it is for the price of gears, t-lok, shim kit, & install, the price is very close to the 8.8 rear with gears. The 8.8 is a stronger rearend and can take what ever mods you plan for the future. Just my 2 cents

·
Registered
247 Posts
the awnser is yes you can, gears are not much its installation that will get u. thats why most people on the site say to save another couple hundred dollars and just go for the 8.8. although if u never plan on doing FI like supercharger, then u would be just fine doing gears in the 7.5.

p.s.... i would do 3.73, 4.10s would suck on the highway alot. exspecialy if u have an exhaust because at 75 mph u would be at like 3500 rpms and the ride would not be to plesant

·
Registered
2 Posts
Im new here but I did an 8.8 swap about a year ago with 3.73 in my 06 with a manual trans. It was probably the best mod i did. I can run down the highway at about 75mph running at about 2500 rpm.

·
Registered
55 Posts
the difference in rpm for 3.73 is 250 rpm's, and 4.10 is 500 rpm's. at 75 on the highway your rpm's will be at 3000 not 3500. since you dont do much highway driving i would go with the 4.10's

·
Registered
16 Posts
Are the differentials for 2010 and 2011 Mustang GT's interchangeable with the S197' generation?

·
Registered
597 Posts
That is a good question...but the '10 has the same rear as the 05-09 so the question should be what is needed to swap rear ends from 2011+ to 2005-2010 s197's?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I know you should feel a difference(by what everyone says) by switching to 3.73 or 4.10, but is the difference great(pull wise)? What times have the gears shaved off your 1/4 mile and 0-60? I'm planning on getting 4.10 gears myself, so still want to get you all's experience. By the way, I have an auto, flowmaster exhaust, diablo tune and AFE cai. Just curious, but I recently raced my friend's 2005 350Z(stock=287hp). He only beat me by half a car-1 car, but not much really. I was running on 87 tune. Think I should be able to get him if I get the gears? As far as I can tell, he wasn't really pulling on me that much, I was surprised. Oh and we raced in an isolated road with no buildings around and what not.
Thanks

1 - 10 of 10 Posts