Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
V8 Muscle!
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was trying to decide between the 4.10 and the 3.73 gears for my 02 gt to pair up with a shorty shifter. Also would u recommend a limited slip differential for the rear maybe to prevent any loss in traction throughout these quick shifts?

·
Priest of the Car Gods
17,313 Posts
All GTs since the mid-80s have come factory with a clutch-pack limited slip diff. If you're installing gears, it's a good idea to rebuild it as a while-you're-in-there, as the clutch packs are reasonably inexpensive. You can also upgrade to the '03/'04 Cobra clutches and spring, which will provide more lock than the stock GT clutches (I have the cobra clutches in my foxbody).

For gears, it depends on how you use the car, but really there's not *that* much difference between 3.73s and 4.10s; it's only about 10% gearing difference. That's why there's so many threads about it. There's a few rules-of-thumb, one is 3.73s for stick, 4.10s for auto; another is 3.73s if you do more highway driving, 4.10s if you don't.

·
V8 Muscle!
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I already have the clutch pack and spring changed over as well. I think I will go with the 3.73 to pair up with a new shorty shifter lol.

·
Best Buy Autotech
697 Posts
I have a buddy that has 4.10s and he loves them... I went with my 3.73s cause I bought em off a guy new for $100... Just depends on your goals...Im planning to boost mine so I didn't want to go with anything past a 3.73

·
Registered
4,311 Posts
i LOVE my 4.10s. but when and if i get a lot of power, ill change to 3.73s :yes

·
V8 Muscle!
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ya, I am definitely planning on adding power down with like a turbo later on plus I do a lot of highway driving so I might just stick with getting the 3.73.

·
Registered
2,958 Posts
Not for nothing, but if youre gonna go FI in the future, Id say stick with 3.55. Just my $.02

·
Registered
4,709 Posts
I have the cobra differential clutches as well, but I couldn't make the cobra spring fit so I still have the stock spring but it's definitely not one legged!

·
Registered
4,709 Posts
Hmm that is strange why the cobra spring wouldn't fit.
They say you have to shove it in, but there was no amount of shoving I could do to get it to fit... plus, if it fit, i would be TIGHT and I'm not drag racing so I just kept the stock spring.

·
US Air Force (retired)
13,542 Posts

·
C6Z's & ZL1's are afraid
3,444 Posts
4.10's!!

Just like so many on here; I was debating which to go w/ for a few months. Finally decided to go w/ 4.10's and **** me they are amazing. and get everything in there rebuilt too since its apart.

I'll tell ya; launching on 4.10's vs stock 3.27's is freaking so much better, only downside, fuel economy is slightly effected (not by much though) and you will need a tune to correct the speedo. The top speed is also effected but driving over 120mph isn't too bright anyway.

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
Not for nothing, but if youre gonna go FI in the future, Id say stick with 3.55. Just my $.02
You could also go with 3.73 and just run a 28" tall tire for the track instead of a 26" like most people

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

1 - 17 of 17 Posts