Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2002 v6 automatic mustang and ive been looking at gears online atm, im thinking about getting gears then exhaust to boost the proformance of my car, I currently have a new intake modded, thats it. What gears are most effiecent for speed and excelleration? Will i get my mpg raped? what brand should i buy it from?(links would be great)

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
for an auto i would recommend 4.10 gears. depending on how many miles on your car you may want to get a bearing install kit. Also I would recommend getting a tuner with your gears, not only will it boost performance a ton but it will allow you to change your computer to the correct gear ratio. You may also want to consider a tlok this will allow you to have both wheels spin adding to traction. I would do this when you do the gears since you have the rearend apart. You will lose a some mpgs on the highway, but you may gain some intown due to the fact that it will allow you to be in a higher gear

4.10 Gears for 7.5 Rear end at AmericanMuscle.com - Free Shipping! 4.10s
Ford Racing 7.5" 28 Spline Traction - LOK Limited Slip Differential at AmericanMuscle.com - Free Shipping! t lok
Rear End Installation Kit at AmericanMuscle.com - Free Shipping! bearing kit

as far as exhaust to i would recommend going on youtube and listening to sound clips of exhaust you like.

Reactions: Wataru

·
MM's Resident Ricer
9,892 Posts
4.10s is the only way to go auto

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
my car just hit 80,000 miles and is in perfect shape. and for the gears if i choice to get one i dont have the knowhow or tools for engin work other than gernal upkeep. im guessing taking the gear to a car shop is a good choice then

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
ya i would definately take the car to the car shop. it is not to tough of an install, it just takes some time and needs to be done correctly. And if you have 80k on your car i would definately get the bearing kit. it is just an insurance so that your rearend will be like new. the price should be around 300 install. maybe less maybe more depending on where you live.

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Also how to i take the speed limiter off my car, whats the deal is it on my cpu or something? Im hoping its pretty east to do

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
ya you will need a tuner to remove the top speed limiter. it is fairly easy you will want to go under options and then it will say speed limiter and you can adjust it, at least that is how it is on the sct x cal 3

·
So say we all.
594 Posts
for an auto i would recommend 4.10 gears. depending on how many miles on your car you may want to get a bearing install kit. Also I would recommend getting a tuner with your gears, not only will it boost performance a ton but it will allow you to change your computer to the correct gear ratio. You may also want to consider a tlok this will allow you to have both wheels spin adding to traction. I would do this when you do the gears since you have the rearend apart. You will lose a some mpgs on the highway, but you may gain some intown due to the fact that it will allow you to be in a higher gear

4.10 Gears for 7.5 Rear end at AmericanMuscle.com - Free Shipping! 4.10s
Ford Racing 7.5" 28 Spline Traction - LOK Limited Slip Differential at AmericanMuscle.com - Free Shipping! t lok
Rear End Installation Kit at AmericanMuscle.com - Free Shipping! bearing kit

as far as exhaust to i would recommend going on youtube and listening to sound clips of exhaust you like.

+1. I am buying all of these for X-Mas for my 00auto6er. THANK YOU because I had no idea what I needed!

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
cool thxs all i need is a tuner to change the limit, would a shop have a tuner i could use to help tune my car or can i use a friends or is it manditory i get my own for my own car?
i know a person who knows alot of people that work on mustangs, might be able to borrow one

·
Registered
184 Posts
You will most likely need to get one. I know my x-cal 3 locks so the tune can only be used on one car at a time.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
cool thxs all i need is a tuner to change the limit, would a shop have a tuner i could use to help tune my car or can i use a friends or is it manditory i get my own for my own car?
i know a person who knows alot of people that work on mustangs, might be able to borrow one
The hand held tuners are "locked" to any one car at one time. Meaning you cant use it on multiple cars. So you would need to get your own.

·
Registered
477 Posts
4.10's for sure with auto. It depends if you ever want to go turbo though, cause then 4.10's would be to low of a gear choice.
JT I think 4.56's might be a bit much. You might see if anyone you know has some and try it out. 3.73's to 4.10's is a decent jump.
x2...kind of the reason why i went with 3.73s :D

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
idk you might be able to take your car to a tune shop and they might be able to reflash your computer with no top speed limiter for some amount. idk though. it is worth a shot.

·
Registered
477 Posts
idk you might be able to take your car to a tune shop and they might be able to reflash your computer with no top speed limiter for some amount. idk though. it is worth a shot.
a handheld tuner will solve that problem

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.