Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was on AM checking out 4.10 gears for my 01 V6. Only ones i found for v6 are Motive Performance Plus 4.10 Gears. Ive heard people mention ford racing gears, but haven't really heard of these before. Anyone ever used them or know anything about them?

·
Not A Regular Member
17,101 Posts
Motive actually made gears for Ford for a while. I'm not sure if Ford Racing actually made 7.5" gears. I've got Motive 4.10s in my car and they're great. Only complaint is a little gear whine between 40 and 50mph but that may be because of the installation. I'm a little rough on them and they put up with the abuse just fine plus they're fun as hell. If you're going to do gears, don't forget to do the tlok at the same and pick up the install/bearing. I think most shops should be able to supply the gear oil and friction modifier (they will charge you of course).

·
Registered
631 Posts
I damn sure wouldnt drive a stick with them, thats for sure.... I dont really think you could build our engines rev happy enough for them...but still I wait....:shiftyeyes

·
Registered
177 Posts
Just from reading the reviews about them you should be ok unless you have massive amounts of horsepower. And in that case, I can't figure out why he kept the 7.5 lol

·
Registered
200 Posts
the ford gears have less of a break in period

With Motive Gears you are looking at a complex and frustrating break in instructions like only going 40 mph for 30 minutes at a time and then letting it cool for 30 minutes. I don't remember the exact instrutions. The shop that installed my gears had a set of Ford gears that I bought instead because it would not be safe/possible to follow the break in instructions on the streets near my home.

A low mile set of used gears is probably a better pick for most unless they have the discipline to endure break in with Motive.

·
Not A Regular Member
17,101 Posts
why 4.10s for automatic? does 3.73 save more gas?
4.10s are generally recommended for autos because manuals will rip through 1st and 2nd gear. If I stop at a stop sign and go into 1st, I'll have to shift into 2nd before I get all the way through the intersection. Then again, I don't make full stops at stop signs anymore just so I can stay in 2nd. But for your section question, 3.73s will be easier on gas (although not by much) if you do a lot of highway driving because 5th gear (or OD) will run at a lower RPM than it would with 4.10s.

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
yukon make great gears, I have there 4.11's :D

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
i have ford OEM 4.10 gears from a ranger. $30 on ebay:fu

very little whine (not even sure if there is any or if its just my mind playing tricks:rolleyes:)

i didnt really need to break them in either

·
Registered
143 Posts
I talked to my mechanic at the local mustang performance shop today actually about gears. He reccommended me the 4.10s for my 02 v6 auto, and he's supplying a gt rear end that already has a t-lok as well.. i think if you can find somebody like that youd be set. But the 4.10 (from what ive heard) are best for autos, and not much difference in gas consumption compared to the 3.73s, I think your making a good choice, that's what im going to be getting done sometime this summer when i can afford it, just remember you'll also need to pick up a tune/tuner, to calibrate the speedometer and get the most out of your upgrade..

·
Banned
12,740 Posts
I got my motives installed, no break in process, no whine :p

Just 4-5 months later the t-lok went boom.

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
Motive is a hit or miss. Mine also make a little whine when I decelerate between 50 and 40 but you can only hear it without the radio on.

Ford Racing has a better heat coating so the breaking process is shorter (in theory), plus they make little to no noise.

You dont need a break in process, if the shop has them set right you dont need one.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts