Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a stock 01 GT 5 spd about six months ago. It's my daily driver, so I don't plan on going nuts with the upgrades. I currently have a MGW short throw shifter, CAI, and 40 series Flowmasters on it. I'm thinking about putting 3.73 gears on, but I don't want it to put to much strain on my car. It currently has about 29,000 miles on it. Do I just need gears, or will it require more rear end work? Keep in mind this car will never see a track, so is it even worth to do on a daily driver? Any help would be appreciated for a noob such as myself. :help

·
US Air Force (retired)
13,542 Posts
:eek: 29,000 miles! Has the new smell even worn off yet. :D

Gears are a good mod to wake up the car and make it feel more like a muscle car. You either have a T-45 or early T-3650 transmission. Both had approximately a .67:1 fifth gear ratio. 3.73s are a good street gear. First isn't too short and its still friendly on the interstate with the lower fifth gear in the 2001 GT. Later, T-3650s have a .62:1 fifth gear. They handle 4.10s on the interstate a little better.

I have 3.73s with a T-45 transmission and I can still get 20-21 mpg on my daily commute and 24.6 mpg for all highway driving. Without the supercharger I'd probably get about 1 mpg more.

With so little miles you really don't have to do anything else to the rearend. If you were to run drag radials or slicks then you might want to upgrade to a 31 spline axle but its not needed as long as you run street tires. You will want a speedcal or handheld tuner to correct your speedometer for the gears. I'd recommend the hand held tuner. Then you can also put on a 93 octane tune for a little more power.

·
Registered
508 Posts
i got mgw short shifter, xpipe, intake and macs and 3.73s, and its the t-45 transmission. i use it dd and long trips and it does great, get about 20 or 21 around town and 23 or 24 hw, its about 2100 rpm at 60 mph on hw.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks for the info, it's greatly appreciated! i think gears are the next upgrade! also, what is a good brand of gears to buy, or does it even matter?

·
Banned
7,007 Posts
Go with the ford racing 3.73 gear, you won't be disappointed. Do you have a tuner to reset the speedo?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I don't currently have enough money to get gears and a tuner. That's probably my next upgrade. What's a good tuner to buy?

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Most people go with the SCT tuners but I know a few people also run the diablo. Do research on each and find what best suits your preferences.

Hooter, what are your ultimate goals for the car?

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
I don't currently have enough money to get gears and a tuner. That's probably my next upgrade. What's a good tuner to buy?

go with AM they have a pay later option that you can pay over 6 months with a purchase of i think 250 or more. SCT seems to be the favorite of most folks in this forum.

·
Registered
508 Posts
If you want the gears but dont have money for tuner you could get the kit with the dallas mustang speedo calibrator, i got it from AM i think for 250$ or so, works great

1 - 14 of 14 Posts