Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
how hard would it be to swap gears in a 98 gt, and what all would i need. how much gear lube?,what kind?,shims?, how to shim it. ps. the gears r used so there broke in.:cool:

·
Registered
15 Posts
i just swaped gears a week ago and i got a motive 3.73 and i had 3 quarts of royal purple max gear 75w90 and a master bearing kit installed i also got the trac lok rebuild kit from steeda. works great

·
Registered
4,987 Posts
if you never did it or have dont have an idea of what it takes to do it, its not gona be fun ...And shimming it can be a pain in the ass if you want to get the backlash correct..

54 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong, but setting up the rear end is something you want done by someone who's pretty good at it. Not easy to get the backlash right at all. I helped run a shop (our family business at the time) for a few years and we usually had 4 full-time mechanics working at any given time, and out of them only a few fealt very comfortable doing this. Putting the parts together isn't all that tough, but doing it in a way that it wears properly and doesn't make lot's of noise is something different all together.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yeah there used so there broke in. and there all in the housing so all i really have to do is pull the old casing out put the used set in. the gears r all put together in the little housing so the only hard part is sliding the axels in the housing and shimming it. i pulled the whole gear set out of a 96. and there well broke in, it cant be that hard can it, and if it breaks i can just put the stock ones back in.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts