Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering whether I should get a custom dyno tune or if I should by the Pro Racer Package and Xcal 2 from SCT and tune it myself.

·
Registered
304 Posts
I got a s.c.(superchips) tuner and installed the performance tune. It is so so but would like to know what a dyno tune would do

·
N/A 4v Guru
3,484 Posts
if you dn't know what you are doing, i would highly suggest not tuning a car yourself

+1 I am not the one who will push not doing it yourself, because I do my own as well. Having said that, doing your own tunning requires knowledge about the car and being able to spot what its doing at any particular time. If you are going to be doing mods slowly as you go and don't plan on huge power levels, then doing some of your own tunning is fine. You will need a good datalogger, a good Wideband setup and a laptop for the Pro Racer Package. As for can tunes that come with the tuners, as custom tune for your exact mods and car is always better than the one that comes in it.

·
Administrator
76,434 Posts
get your car dyno tuned...

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
ive heard good things about dyno tunes, but also have heard handhelds get the job done too, just that dyno tunes are typicaly better. im not sure of exact reasons. im sure someone will post it in here!

·
Administrator
76,434 Posts
For his application a dyno tune is needed...

He has done some major mods and hand-helds are not really good for people running alot of mods...

A dyno tune is ALWAYS better...

·
Banned
2,403 Posts
have somebody who knows what they're doing tune it, $300 for a dyno tune is alot less than $4000 for a new motor when you blow it because you dont know what your doing.

IMO, if you have to ask the question "should i get my car tuned, or tune it myself"... the the answer is get it tuned.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
yea thats what I was thinking. I have major mods and major problems with the ECU. I need a serious tune so I am prob going to get it dynoed. Should I pay someone $500 to flash it or $850 and I get the Xcal2. Also do dyno tunes correct daily driving issues like high drive idle and such? Thanks

·
Administrator
76,434 Posts
I would buy the SCT XCAL2 and the tune...they can adjust idle in the tune...

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I would buy the SCT XCAL2 and the tune...they can adjust idle in the tune...
Drive Idle? Like when I am rolling and if I push the clutch in it will rev to like 2100 all the way until I am fully stopped.

·
Administrator
76,434 Posts
Drive Idle? Like when I am rolling and if I push the clutch in it will rev to like 2100 all the way until I am fully stopped.
Yes they can adjust everything in the tune...If not they will be able to tell you what you need to fix...

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ok good. i am going to see if I can email them or call and let them know whats up. You ever hear of Crazy Horse Racing in NJ?

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
ok cool I will look into that. What other shops in NJ or NY can dyno tune (other than Mustang Magic)?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts