Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please take time to read my questions I know they are long but please help a n00bie out

I can't pay 10K more to get the V8 :( I'm afraid I would be losing out so much in terms of power and resale value but the V6 Convertible is all I can afford :(

Anyway, please answer my questions:

1) When I first buy the car, do I need to run the engine in? What is the best way to drive it and for how long before I can rev it up?

2) Anything special I need to protect my new investment? What is the best oil to use? Castrol? Mobil 1? or any fully synthetic oil should do?

3) I had a Mustang V6 2001 Model 4 months back, it was very underpowered and had many problems, so I sold it and bought a Camaro SS V8 Manual Transmission 1999, while the car was powerful like a beast, it also gave me an endless collection of problems, every 2 days it would break down, first time, the clutch got spoiled and I had to change the clutch, then the starter key wouldn't rotate tso I couldnt start my car, then my front left tyre blew, then the fuel tank got spoiled so the car was spoiled, every week. one problem....... Do you think that buy driving the V6 Mustang Automatic Convertible, I would feel a huge step backwards due to coming from a Camaro SS V8 Manual? (They don't sell Manual transmission Mustangs in Dubai unfortunately at the dealer and I don't want any more used cars although I can find an imported one from the US manual transmission, but I can't run the risk of having my car break down anymore)

4) Which is more reliable Automatic Transmission or Manual Transmission cars?

5) The dealers we have in Dubai don't allow you to choose nay packages or customize your Mustang as you wish, you get the stock rims, and the Pony package, when I asked about the Shaker Sound System if it comes with it, the Sales man said no that only comes on the V8 but I won't be missing anything because the sound quality between the normal sound system and the Shaker is very similar. I think he was just trying to BS to sell my the V6 but I am mad that I won't be getting the Shaker Sound System, the normal sound system has no bass or amplifier right?

6) Why is the re-sale value of Mustangs very bad? I see 1 year or 2 year old Mustangs selling for dirt cheap???

7) My friend told me not to buy a Mustang because they all have a Fuel Tank problem where when I fill the car at the Gas Station, it won't fill up to the max unless I stand there manually force it to over flow, reason is the design of the fuel tank is in such a way that causes the full to push back and make the car think it is full...... is this true? :( How do you guys go about filling your cars?

8) in Dubai, The normal fuel is 95 Octane, and the SUPER Fuel is 98 Octane. Will I notice any difference if I always use SUPER? or Special should suffice? The difference between the normal or the SUPER in price on a full tank which is completely empty to FULL, is about $10 USD

9) I am getting the Race Red color as that is the only color which was there in stock although I initially wanted the grabber blue :(

10) How reliable is the convertible? I mean the mechanism? Will it run me for years or does it break often?

11) What is the best way to wash a convertible car? Any DOs and DONTs ?

12) Is it true when I saw the reviews of the Mustang V6 being able to pull 5.1 Seconds on the 0-60 Run?? this is insane as my old 2003 Pontiac GTO used to get only 5.7 seconds from a V8 LS1 5.7L Engine! How on earth does a V6 get better results?? Someone explain this to meh please

·
Registered
491 Posts
1. There have been a lot of people who have not gone out of their way to break the engine in. I sort of did, with 4 redline runs at ~1.5k just to feel it out.

2. Any full synthetic should do. Pennzoil Ultra has a few fans as far as cost effective synthetics go. But any of the big name synthetics will do, too. AMSOil, Mobil1, Royal Purple, Motul, etc.

3. The 3.7L will feel like a step down, but definitely not a big one. The 2013's even have a select shift from what I remember reading, so probably won't be all that bad a transition.

4. Automatic, by far. People have had a lot of problems with the MT82; Aside from the ones that were factory defects, I'm inclined to believe it's mostly a matter of people not clutching completely, dumping too hard, and generally sucking at shifting. A lot of shops running MT82s haven't had problems, and a lot of guys who run their MT82 haven't had problems, either, so it definitely isn't universal to the MT82.

5. Don't bother, in my opinion, bud. It won't be that much nicer, and I think you'd be better off buying some speakers online, getting some connector-adapters, and putting in nicer speakers. From what I've read and heard, the Shaker system really isn't all that much of a step up from the stock speakers, and the stock speakers aren't all that nice.

6. Reputation and nature of the beast. I can't explain all of it, I do know I am disinclined to purchase -any- sports/faster car unless I knew the person who owned it, or knew without a doubt that they didn't flog it.

7. This isn't a problem with the fuel tank. Dunno about your friend, but he may not be aware that you aren't supposed to completely fill up modern gas tanks..... Seriously, it's not a problem. Just fill it till it stops, and you're right near it's 16gal capacity.

8. Sort of. American octane ratings are different than most of the world, from what I understand, and your 95/98 is our 89/91, iirc. Will you notice a perceptible difference? Probably not. But it's been proven that higher octanes do result in gains for the 3.7L and 5.0L.

9. Was there a question to go with this? :D I dislike grabber blue, personally, so I think you're better off with race red.

10. Can't say.

11. See 10.

12. I don't know about 5.1s, and with the extra weight of the convertible, you'll be looking at a 5.8-6.0 0-60MPH. If you're talking about KPH ... Honestly, I think that'll come easy as hell. Mostly, it's that the 3.7L produces 305 crank hp by being able to rev up to 7k rpm stock.

Reactions: phayze

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks a lot for the answers man.

Any more comments are welcome

But I know for a fact now that I better only put the SUPER fuel which is 98 Octane here in Dubai from what you've said

·
I love to skydive
17,286 Posts
Wait for the grabber blue!

In all honesty man, you'll be fine. Read the manual. It answers a lot of questions.

2003 gto? They didn't make them in 2003! :lol what do you mean.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wait for the grabber blue!

In all honesty man, you'll be fine. Read the manual. It answers a lot of questions.

2003 gto? They didn't make them in 2003! :lol what do you mean.

1- After running through a myriad of problems with my previous 2000 Mustang Convertible and now my current Camaro SS 1999, I have spent an arm and a leg and have had my car in the garage every weekend and this was a good car when I tested it. I don't want any more headaches so no more used cars.

2- Well its not exactly the Pontiac GTO, basically, here in Dubai, they have a car called Lumina SS, which has the same LS1 Engine that the Vauxhaull Monaro (Australian version of this car) and hte Pontiac GTO (american version of this car) but with a diff. body kit.

My Lumina SS was not standard though, I bought it 2nd hand from an Australian guy who has already replaced the stock body kit and put on the Australian Holden Body kit on it.

Standard Lumina SS 2003:

My modified Lumina SS (Holden Body Kit):

Where I had an accident and totalled the car and went into a 1 month comma, was racing some guy on a steep curve on a bridge in Jan 2005:

·
Registered
491 Posts
This is going to drive some GT guys nuts. So here we go!

Bu Jacoub said:
ok heres the first race , highway pull with a bolt on GT rolling 100km/h (60mph)

Bu Jacoub said:
and here from a dig , he stole the jump and i spanked his GT , till 140km/h he let go but after seeing me teasing him (you'll see in the video ) he got right back on the pedal lol:p

he was complaining on spinning through first

Bu Jacoub said:
and here is the last race from his request a 40mph roll which he told me it was his best rolling speed , and for me with my 2.73 gears it was the worst and i still beat him:D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDvg3ZAWv34&feature=youtu.be

Bu Jacoub said:
i'v beatin many 2005-2010 mustang GTs with my headers and some when i only had a cold air intake and tune

heres an old video when i only had a cold air intake and tune vs my
friends mustang gt with shorty headers , cia and 3.73 gears!

Bu Jacoub said:
and this was with a GT with CIA , LT headers , 3.73 gears , and shaker system and he had a manual gear box vs my CAI and tune v6

·
aloha ke akua
13,177 Posts
I don't think 10k mile 2011-12 5.0 will give any problems. You should seriously reconsider. Totally different from a 1999-2003 car..

·
The Aviator
6,305 Posts
The guy who is in those videos is also from Dubai if i recall correctly.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Kuwait, actually. A lot like the difference between New York and Goldsboro, or Jacksonville FL and the Bahamas, honestly.

Oh and the 2011+ V6's are totally different animals from the '99-03 V6 Mustangs. :)

·
The Aviator
6,305 Posts
Kuwait, actually. A lot like the difference between New York and Goldsboro, or Jacksonville FL and the Bahamas, honestly.

Oh and the 2011+ V6's are totally different animals from the '99-03 V6 Mustangs. :)
Ah! Your right. My bad. I don't know why I was thinking dubai? Lol

·
Registered
491 Posts
You were thinking "all those Middle Eastern States are the same" in a nutshell... It's okay, though, just as many people around the world think the same way about the US (and it's States). On a related note, everyone here know that Mexico is actually officially the United States of Mexico? Freakin' copycats, right? :D:D

I know I'd definitely rather be in Dubai, personally, not that Kuwait is a bad place, but assuming I could get a job, mmm, good times to be had in Dubai... I do dig berryracer's history and interest in cars, at least. Welcome to the forums, btw, and if you decide to get a 5.0, that subforum will take care of you too. :)

·
Registered
71 Posts
With my '11 V6, I blow up pre-11 V8's all the time in LA. It's funny as hell to watch the look on their faces. Plus, my Borla sounds NICE at WOT. lol

·
I love to skydive
17,286 Posts
With my '11 V6, I blow up pre-11 V8's all the time in LA. It's funny as hell to watch the look on their faces. Plus, my Borla sounds NICE at WOT. lol
Are you sure? Because I have a hard time seeing you blow them away.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts