Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
after all the reading and actually finally feeling what a MGW short throw feels like, I am going to buy one. The ball will take some getting used to, but say I wanted to keep the stock knob, is it interchangable? Looks like I can just screw it on/off...

Also, since I have a 99-the t45 tranny what do I do with the stops? And Do I need any more tools/parts?

Thanks guys.

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
Yes you can use the stock shift knob and do not put the shift stops in your shifter. They are already built in so you dont need the ones that come with the shifter.

·
Registered
4,366 Posts
Yeah I was going to say it specifically says you can damage the transmission if you don't use shift stops except for the T56 and 3650 transmissions.

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
Yeah I was going to say it specifically says you can damage the transmission if you don't use shift stops except for the T56 and 3650 transmissions.

3650 thats me!

the shifter will come with specific instructions for his car if he enters the data right when he orders it

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
The MGW shifter does not come with any shift knob, so you will have to use the OEM knob unless you buy something else...

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
You need them in the 96-98 t-45 but not in the 99-01 t-45. Im pretty sure thats how it is....correct me if im wrong

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
you need them in the t-45 no matter what year... only 3650 u dont

·
US Air Force (retired)
13,542 Posts
Read the link. It is instructions specifically for the T-45 installation and it explains in detail how to set the stops.

·
Registered
600 Posts
you'll need them on the t45 for sure. its just a couple of bolts. besides that setting them up right will take away any slop.

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
Hey, man, where'd you find the que ball knob you've got there?
Made it--$8 Belgian cue ball from the Daytona Flea Market, and I've got a "mini" machine shop...

I bored a 5/8" hole in the ball and then machined an insert from 3/4" aluminum, epoxied into the ball...

·
Registered
96 Posts
Looks cool, man. I've been looking for one like that or one with the just shift pattern on it but the only one close is the MRT one and it's got their logo on it...not really wanting to advertise for someone unless they give me free ****, you know?

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
Looks cool, man. I've been looking for one like that or one with the just shift pattern on it but the only one close is the MRT one and it's got their logo on it...not really wanting to advertise for someone unless they give me free ****, you know?
I agree 110%, I bought a new '68 Vette some years ago and when I went pick it up they had actually drilled holes in the rear deck lid to mount their dumb-ass dealer logo--made 'em get me a new trunk-lid...

This place has cue-ball knobs, they are just drilled plastic balls with no metal insert but for $15 you can't go wrong...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts