Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
3,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I installed a Vortech SQ trim on my Bullitt (sad to say it's not MPH's kit, *proceding to kicking my own @$$). I loaded up the tune and started her up. Everything seemed fine, so I shut it down to recheck everything to be sure and fired her up again and got a check engine light. I pulled the code and it's P0453. I looked it up and it seems to be an emissions issue, which would maybe explain why the RPM's take a while to drop back down to idle after I hit the throttle a bit and racked up to about 3 grand. I think the issue is in the tune since the PCM controls this. I called the company to get the tune ironed out enough to get it to a dyno tune. Come to find out the company doesn't make the tune, they have somebody else do it for them and they swear there is nothing wrong with the tune and that there is something wrong with my Bullitt. I find that odd since the car ran fine before the supercharger install. If anybody has some insight on this let me know. I still think it's in the tune. If I'm wrong then let me know. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
sounds like it could be a tune issue...

P0453 - FTP Sensor Circuit High Voltage Detected
The PCM monitors the EVAP control system FTP sensor input signal to the PCM. The test fails when the signal average jumps above a minimum allowable calibrated parameter.
  • FTP circuit open
  • VREF shorted to VPWR
  • Damaged PCM
  • FTP circuit shorted to VREF or VPWR
  • SIG RTN circuit open
  • Damaged FTP sensor
FTP V PID reading greater than 4.50 volts with key ON and engine OFF or during any engine operating mode indicates a hard fault.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Also, when you put your car back to stock (remove tune) does the check engine light turn off...problems go away?

errr...edit, didnt read the last line saying you were supercharged. Joe might not be able to help much, unless you have wideband O2s

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
I have a wideband setup it's not installed though.
Install them, then do some data logging...he should be able to setup you up. Did you buy your kit used? A new kit should come with a canned tune. Personally i prefer datalogging vs dyno tune...just a personal preference, i'd rather do testing under actual situations versus on a controlled environment.

·
Registered
3,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It came with a mail order tune. They are telling me I should drop the tank again and check everything over. Now the one thing someone told me to do and I didn't was get a new gasket for where the filler neck goes into the gas tank. I didn't get one and I was told they normally rip.

I have an SCT and can datalog with that, but I wouldn't know what to datalog.

·
Administrator
76,434 Posts
It is rare to see them not rip...

What about the PCV system?

My kit came with a different PCV valve...

·
Administrator
76,434 Posts
The ripped gasket could be throwing the EVAP code and could be why you are smelling gas...

·
Registered
3,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
My kit didn't come with a PCV valve. I'm going to call Ben tomorrow and see if I can get a new gasket and drop the tank and intall it and see if that fixes my problem. I'm hoping that will fix my hanging RPMs problem, too, but it probably won't.

·
Administrator
76,434 Posts
My kit didn't come with a PCV valve. I'm going to call Ben tomorrow and see if I can get a new gasket and drop the tank and intall it and see if that fixes my problem. I'm hoping that will fix my hanging RPMs problem, too, but it probably won't.
It wont fix your hanging RPM's...

That is actually in the tune...

Brent can fix it...

Tim fixed mine...

·
Registered
3,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well, at least I know the RPMs are in the tune now. I took it for a drive and the longer I drove it the worse the RPMs hanging got as far as time it took to come back down to normal.

·
Administrator
76,434 Posts
Well, at least I know the RPMs are in the tune now. I took it for a drive and the longer I drove it the worse the RPMs hanging got as far as time it took to come back down to normal.
Yep its in the tune...

·
Premium Member
4,464 Posts
I'm going to go against the norm and say that its not the tune. The FTP (fuel tank pressure) code can be caused by a loose gas cap. The hanging idle should never change if its tune related. I would check the IAC and TB set screw. An easy test is to back out the set screw 1 full turn and see if the hanging idle goes away. If you post up a datalog following the link hmusn posted i can give it a quick once over.

·
Registered
3,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
I'd send you the datalog, but I don't have a wideband installed right now. The IAC is electronically controlled. I'll take a look at the TB set screw. The TB was removed to install the spark plugs and injectors for clearance, but nothing was changed just unbolted. I have a new gasket for the fuel tank and I'm going to try and get that installed today if the weather doesn't keep acting up. I'm hoping that will solve the error code.

·
Administrator
76,434 Posts
Its in the tune...

I had the same issue...

Told Tim @ MPH and he tweaked the tune and it fixed the issue...Has not happened ever again...

1 - 20 of 25 Posts