Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
alright so i have a 2002 v6 mustang with the following mods:
4.10 gears,posi-trac differential, dual exhaust, shorty headers, tuner, and drop in filter.

i will have a precision industries stallion torque converter installed for when i go to the track.

the first three gears are no problem and my car flies through them with the mods i have now. once i install the torque converter, it will lock up all the way to the fourth gear. im hoping for mycar to be able to run in the 14's but to do so, i will have to be around 80mph. my car seems to lose power at around 60mph and im afraid that it will fall flat on its face once it hits fourth gear. is there anything that i can do to make more power in this range? ive heard that if i do 1.8 ratio roller rockers, i can reach higher rpm's safely. is this true? and if so could i extend my shift points using the tuner so that the first three gears last longer?

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well besides the obvious power adders. and im trying to avoid a cam swap and new cylinder heads for now as well. im not looking for a lot, maybe just roller rockers and ported upper/lower intake manifolds.

·
¡ʇsnq ɹo uʍop ǝpısdn
12,571 Posts
you can port the intake parts, upper and lower and throttle body... but your not going to see a ton of power from it... your out of bolt ons... you can do tranny upgrades

·
MM's Resident Ricer
9,892 Posts
shift kit with the torque converter will help stiffen your shifts and a trans break will help with the launch but the best bang for the buck to get top end is nitrous, just have it spray in 4th only if thats where you loose poewr

·
Banned
12,740 Posts
Centrifugal s/c will give you some top end :)

·
Banned
15,799 Posts
turbo over centri

for top end power ported intakes and heads is your best bet as far as parts that ARENT power addersand you'll need more like 90mph to run respectable 14s

·
Registered
165 Posts
ive heard that if i do 1.8 ratio roller rockers, i can reach higher rpm's safely.
Geometry wise, maybe not safely with the 1.8
Use the 1.7 RR to see an improvement when combined with your intake port work.............& try long tube headers as well as another tune.

oh & UD pulleys

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
you can port the intake parts, upper and lower and throttle body... but your not going to see a ton of power from it... your out of bolt ons... you can do tranny upgrades
well as far as tranny upgrades goes here's my list so far:

precision industries stallion torque converter with a stall speed of 3000rpm
j-mod
tranny cooler

i cant really think of much else for my auto at this point without tearing into the transmission.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
turbo over centri

for top end power ported intakes and heads is your best bet as far as parts that ARENT power addersand you'll need more like 90mph to run respectable 14s
alright well i got confused with the mph, but do you think that upper/lower intakes, throttle body, intake spacer, and underdrive pullies would help me out?

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
alright well between your ported upper/lower intakes, intake spacer, 65mm throttle body, and underdrive pullies, what kind of rwhp gains do you think i could see?

·
Banned
15,799 Posts
8rwhp pulleys
ported upper and lower roughly 15rwhp possibly 20 depends really(with 65mmthrottle body)
the spacer is like 5rwhp i think they dyno'd

probably 30rwhp from those depending on your CAI and your exhaust flow

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
ok well would you recomend halfshafting my current throttle body and porting it to 65mm? or buy one from bbk? ive heard some complaints about theirs whistling.

as for cai, i just dropped in a k&n filter which i heard is just as good as the metal intake. for my exhaust, so far i have bbk shorty headers and flowmaster dual exhaust. i should be getting an h-pipe around the same time.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
8rwhp pulleys
ported upper and lower roughly 15rwhp possibly 20 depends really(with 65mmthrottle body)
the spacer is like 5rwhp i think they dyno'd

probably 30rwhp from those depending on your CAI and your exhaust flow
ok and if i leave out the lower intake for now, how much power? 20-25rwhp?
and will the intake spacer match up alright with the upper intake manifold? and when i do the lower at a later time, will they all match up alright?

·
Banned
15,799 Posts
ok and if i leave out the lower intake for now, how much power? 20-25rwhp?
and will the intake spacer match up alright with the upper intake manifold? and when i do the lower at a later time, will they all match up alright?
yes they will all match up
theres no telling what gains you'll really see with just a ported upper. the upper & lower together really help out and do its justice together
you'll get some gains for sure but your better off doing the lower as well

1 - 20 of 21 Posts